Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 92 aspencade all stockexcept for a set of running lights on back saddle bag and a neon light on the front tire. Man I was riding and I stalled the bike at a light. And wouldn't you know the bike would not start? I thought as long as it was running the bike would continue to charge the battery. However it seems the battery was not being charged. Or should I say staying charged.But when I turned off my running lights and drift started it, I didn't have the problem and didn't anymore. I road it home drove all day the next day. The following day, it was evening and I had all the lights on again. Same thing. The bike would not start after I turned it off in a parking lot. The battery is holding a charge it seems. But It's being drawn down by my lights. I want those and more lights. What are my options?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You don't get a lot of power from the alternator at idle but normally a couple extra lights won't bother a 1500. How many watts are those extra lights drawing? It could be your alternator needs some attention, might have worn brushes or dirty slip rings. Possibly a bad diode in the regulator. An automotive electricalshop should be able to test your alternator if you don't want to disassemble yours. It's an easy job to remove the alternator, takes around 30 minutes the first time and most of that is working the thing around to get it out of the hole in the frame.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

From your description you've pretty much answered the question you've asked.

Too much drain on the electrical system. Put a volt test meter across the battery & start the bike. At idle with all accesory lights etc. off you should have a reading around the mid 12's for voltage. Turn the accesory lights etc back on & see what your reading is. If its lower then you know the problem. The load is draing the battery down. Also check the readings at around 3000 rpm & they should be 15 + volts.

The bike needs in access of 10 volts to start. Check this by putting your test meter on the battery, ignition on & kill switch on, hit starter and see what the reading is.

If your battery is over 2 years old replace it. You are still going to have to address the electrical load problem. Some folks go the car alternator route for more amps.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

The stock alternator puts out 40 or 45 amps( i forget which one)

You can replace it with a CompuFire alternator which puts out 90 amps plus.

But with the Compufire you must run a Sealed Battery,So you would have to buy a new battery if you do not already run a sealed one.

Alot of us 1500 owners replace the stock alternator with this one when the original breaks down.

Then as long as you have no faults or ground shorts in you lights and accessorys that you have added on , You can add lights galore or whatever.

I bought my Compufire from Chris Chrome.com and i run a Yuasa sealed battery

and have no probs what so ever. I found these guys to be the cheapest.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah. I was told about the higher output altenator. I'll check into it after I've cleared any short and/or battery issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.