Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hear it is, I've replaced the old battery although it was reported new andI still have a drain? The charging system is not charging merely maintaining but as it sits with everything off I still get a drain. I've checked and rechecked the wires for any shorts and found none. Would a defective charging system cause the drain? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Being an Aspencade you have the Honda Clarion Type II radio and also you should have a voltmeter. There will always be a slight drain due to the memory of the AM/FM radio. When you are cruising what what is the reading of the voltmeter? Do you also have the CB option?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Well, yes the R/R can go bad and bleed off current while the bike sits. There is a procedure to find this kind of problem but you'll need an Amp Meter that can handle around 5 to 10 amps I'd guess. Basically what you do is disconnect either the positive or negative cable from the battery, I don't remember which, and put the amp meter in series between the cable and the battery terminal. I think with an Aspy you'll see a normal current flow of .25 amp hours. The Honda repair manual has the actual spec in it. This is the current draw for the radio and clock memory. A good battery can handle this draw for probably a month and still start the bike. If the draw is above this then you start removing fuses until the draw drops. If it does drop after a fuse is removed then consult the wiring diagram for that circuit and trace the leads until you find the short. If removing all the fuses doesn't reduce the draw then you begin disconnecting other things like the ignition switch, R/R and other unfused devices until the draw is isolated. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Had the CB but it was replaced by a car radio before I got it. The Clarion still has power as well as the "new" radio. The Voltmeter at idle will drop to about "11.5", cruising will vary between 12 and 14 depending on sustained RPM. Takes a 14 to get a good "crank". Just little embarrising asking for "jump" everytime I shut off.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Charging Rate Inspection per the Honda GoldWing 1980-1983 Service Manulal is:

Run the engine for five minutes before taking readings.

Disconnect the regulator/rectifier black wire.

Connect a 0-20 V voltmeter and a 0-10 amp ammeter to check the output of the charging system.

Slowly increase engine speed and check that charging begins at 1800 rpm.

Make this test with a fully charged battery, dimmer switch on high, fan motor off, and engine speed at 3000 rpm.

The voltmeter should read at least 12.5 V (1980-1981) or 14.5 V (1982-1983) and the ammeter 5 amps (1980-1981) or 3 amps (1982-1983).

There is nothing wrong with your charging system if it meets the above specs.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Mine done the same thing. Are you running a standard Honda Battery in it? If not, Get one, and that should kill your battery issue. A Honda Battery is rated at 12 volts with a 10 amp draw. Also, a regular Honda Battery will accept a higher charge rate when riding to keep theamperage draw equal to the amperage drain to keep the Goldwing up to a max 14,5 volts charge,and drops to 12 volts when all acessories/brakes are on. An atv/regular motorcycle battery will accept a 2 volt charge, not allowing the Goldwing to make full use of its charging system. If you have ever noticed a Honda Battery, It is built with 7 caps, instead of 6 that comes with a regular battery. This I do not know why. Many people, Including myself, sometimes use a non Honda Battery, and everytime I do, I always notice that my voltage indicator drops a lot (down to 11.6 volts) when I hit my brakes, but goes back up, and the lights also dim. This never hapens with a regular Honda Battery.
Hope this helps.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Part number for the OEM YUASA battery is: Y50-N18L-A.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I had that same battery in my 83, it went bad. MY 81 had a wal-mart everstart in it when I got it. They were identical in every way except the brand name and the fact that the wal-mart battery is still in the 81 and still working.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
83Winger,

What is the CCA+ Amp Hours?
Thanks,

Nightrider1

:waving:Nightrider1,

It's Amp Hours is 20 but cant't find the CCA. The YUSA Y50-N18L-A was the standard battey on the '80-87 GoldWings.

83GoldWinger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.