Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 YUASA battery, " original equip" has died after 5 yrs. I would say that is pretty good service. No Tender, no nothing, just regular starting at least 3-4 times per month. Now I am going to install a new YUASA replacement. Can I expect the same service life?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Have always had good battery life with YUASA batteries. Five years has been my average life span also without a battery tender.:waving:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
My original lasted about 5 years also. Then I bought the best battery sold at Batteries Plus. Died after a year, was replaced on warranty and died again a year later. Bought another Yuasa, and expect long life. Funny part is that Yuasa does not warranty motorcycle battery at all.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Is this a Yuasa wet cell battery you're talking about? If it is then battery life battery life is good but, they can cause other much more severe problems.
The first thing you should do if you're gonna replace like for like, is re-route the drain line so that it doesn't cause this kind of damage to your swingarm bracket, there's only a small puff of acid gas emmitted at any one time, but it's all the time, even the picture doesn't look too bad but take a screwdriver to it, and you'll see why this swingarm bracket took a welded plate to repair it.
I get sealed AGM batteries delivered to the door for $78, they may not last 5 years but, Hey, they don't do this.....

Attachments

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Consider a sealed AGM battery. I have never even owned a battery tender and my last one (from Sears no less) lasted over 7 years and I did nothing to it. Ever.
They cost a bit more up front, but the added power and reliability coupled with longer life? Way worth it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I'm curious does anyone know the code Yuasa uses on their wet cell batteries to tell you month/year produced? I don't have a clue how old it is.
I don't know that they do that on the bike batteries. Is yours a wet cell or AGM? Is your alternator a stock 40 amp or high output? if a high output you want to use an AGM battery.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I guess I'm pretty lucky. Tested out my original 2006 battery, everything OK. Probably buy a new batt. in 2013 just to be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.