Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok Guys can you solve my problem for me. Sometimes when i go to start the bike everything dims as if the battery is dead. and the bike wont turn over, so i recharge the battery and leave it standing for a couple of days and it levels out at 12.65.This is good says the good book. So i put it back in the bike and away we go. Then after a couple of hundred k stop and same thing occurs,dims lights etc as before.(bike starts on a push or power pack) I have checked the bikes charging rate and that is good at 1395 approx.
Question: is it the battery not able to take the load or a bad earth somewhere. Battery is about 4.5 years old. Or maybe its a new battery?
Cheers all

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a battery to me. are the levels good inside the battery? When you put it on a charger, taked the plugs off the battery and watch for small bubbles in the battery plug hole, if you don't get any bubbles, not a lot but a few your battery should give you some bubbles when charging.

But sounds like time for e new battery. I change mine every 2 years not matter what.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

It should be sealed battery in the 1800 ,Battery need to be changed ,, 4.5 years old is old for a battery ,Dont buy a cheap battery if you are going to replace it or you will be in the same trouble in another short time , Buy a Yuasa or some other good make . Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

certarzip wrote:
Sounds like a battery to me. are the levels good inside the battery? When you put it on a charger, taked the plugs off the battery and watch for small bubbles in the battery plug hole, if you don't get any bubbles, not a lot but a few your battery should give you some bubbles when charging.

But sounds like time for e new battery. I change mine every 2 years not matter what.
no bubbles sealed battery..thanks for your reply all information useful

Ger

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

wexy wrote:
It should be  sealed battery in the 1800 ,Battery need to be changed ,, 4.5 years old is old for a battery ,Dont buy a cheap battery if you  are going to replace it or you will be in the same trouble in another short time , Buy a Yuasa or some other good make .  Ciaran
Cheers Ciaran, New battery it is then....What i still don't understand is why it holds a charge before i return it to the machine and then it does the opposite,is it the inner plates etc that are faulty ?

Ger

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Swaggerman wrote:
wexy wrote:
It should be sealed battery in the 1800 ,Battery need to be changed ,, 4.5 years old is old for a battery ,Dont buy a cheap battery if you are going to replace it or you will be in the same trouble in another short time , Buy a Yuasa or some other good make . Ciaran
Cheers Ciaran, New battery it is then....What i still don't understand is why it holds a charge before i return it to the machine and then it does the opposite,is it the inner plates etc that are faulty ?

Ger
Yes it is the inner lead plates breaking down, erroding, or whichever term you want to use. If you got 4.5 years out of a battery, you're doing good. Most batteries are gonna read 12 volts, but if the electrolyte is weak, and the lead plates have a coating on them, the reaction just doesn't happen like it did when it was new.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

johnnynogood wrote:
Swaggerman wrote:
wexy wrote:
It should be  sealed battery in the 1800 ,Battery need to be changed ,, 4.5 years old is old for a battery ,Dont buy a cheap battery if you  are going to replace it or you will be in the same trouble in another short time , Buy a Yuasa or some other good make .  Ciaran

Ger
Yes it is the inner lead plates breaking down, erroding, or whichever term you want to use. If you got 4.5 years out of a battery, you're doing good. Most batteries are gonna read 12 volts, but if the electrolyte is weak, and the lead plates have a coating on them, the reaction just doesn't happen like it did when it was new.
Thank you for clarifying that for me...Johnny -is -good:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey there,

Just had my battery give up the ghost while pulling into St. George Utah after riding some425 miles with several stops in the desert, just wouldn't start any longer. The tech tested the battery and it showed 12.8v but when the key was turned to the start position, it showed 3v. Mine was only 14 months old.

My neighbor on his 1800 just changed his battery at 5 years just cuz we were taking an 8-10 day trip and didn't want to get stuck, go figure.

Toy4Rick

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Don't be a "cheap skate", raid the piggy bank and get another battery :D

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Hmm, now I'm beginning to wonder if my lack of charging may have been a faulty battery and not the rectifier. The battery wasn't that old at the time and didn't look sulfated. Of course, after 6 yrs of sitting a new battery is in order anyway...

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Hey there,

Just had my battery give up the ghost while pulling into St. George Utah after riding some 425 miles with several stops in the desert, just wouldn't start any longer.  The tech tested the battery and it showed 12.8v but when the key was turned to the start position, it showed 3v.  Mine was only 14 months old.

My neighbor on his 1800 just changed his battery at 5 years just cuz we were taking an 8-10 day trip and didn't want to get stuck, go figure.

Toy4Rick
A very wise move....:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

wushock92 wrote:
Hmm, now I'm beginning to wonder if my lack of charging may have been a faulty battery and not the rectifier. The battery wasn't that old at the time and didn't look sulfated. Of course, after 6 yrs of sitting a new battery is in order anyway...
Trickle charging is the way to protect your battery when your machine is not in use....:waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.