Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been riding the last 3 day is and this morning the bike wouldn't start. I put a charge on the batt and ran a voltage check and it was 12.7 that would tell me it's a hot batt. I started it up and the voltage @ idle was about 12.8 and at 3500 it just made 13.2v. I checked the dreaded yellow wires and the plug looked good and clean. My question is what should the voltage be at idle and 3000 +

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Your idle reading is about right but the 3000 should be higher probably around 14.5 or so. I think the book calls for the rpm to be at 5000 to test the output of the alternator. You can try that & see what you get.

Your reading of 12.7 after you've charged it doesn't really matter as it may drop like a stone. Let the battery sit overnight & then check & see what you get.

There is a lot of checks you can do with a good meter & service manual. If you don't already have the manual you can download what you need from this sight.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have all the goodies from the reference forum downloaded. I did leave out some details like it is a brand new gel batt. I have been looking through past posts on this subject and seems there is a few different views on what is acceptable voltage. But I will check the manuals again and see if i missed something. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

With the manual...check the stator, wiring and regulator/rectifier.Alsocheck the condition of the ground connection for the battery.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
With the manual...check the stator, wiring and regulator/rectifier.Alsocheck the condition of the ground connection for the battery.
On battery terminal or frame? The battery was cleaned before I put in the new gel. The frame well didn't check it just yet but I meant to ha

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I meant to say on the frame...but my fingers just didn't type it!!:D

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Check for voltage drops between solenoid & battery. Corrosion in/on + cable between these two has caused problems in the past.

The high reading of about 14.5 V is pretty well universal for all alternators be they in a m/c, car, truck or whatever. That's what the system needs to run itself & keep the battery topped up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.