Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Anyone know how far a person has to ride to fullyrecharge the battery? I Guess what I want to know can a battery lose enough of its charge from repeated starting and only short trips being ridden that it gets low enough that it wont start the bike?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
imported post

In cooler weather, the battery does not accept a charge as readily as it will in 70+ degree temps. Therefore, the rate of charge accepted will be less than normal.

That assumes the charging system is okay.

If, by way of example, it takes 1 KW of power to start the bike, and you only ride it a short distance and it only receives say maybe 0.2 KW of recharge, then the battery's charge level is still less than when you first started the engine.

If that cycle is repeated for a few times, the battery will eventually be too low to start the engine.

Using a Battery Tender on the bike while it is parked between trips will go a long way towards preventing you getting stranded away from home.

A longer ride of 50 or more miles, the battery should be well topped off.

I rode my bike to work and back daily. A trip that takes 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Under that regimen, I never had battery problems until the battery aged enough that it just plain sulphated and died.

Make sure to keep the water level at or very close to the full mark. that helps extend the normal life span of a battery.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
imported post

Last year, during winter, I would ride my bike to and fro from my last work site that was less than 10 minutes away from home. Never a problem with keeping the battery charged and I didn't use a battery tender. However, I did let the engine choke a little longer than I would in summer weather.

I would recommend taking the scenic route home from time to time to insure more charging time or, like AZgl1500 said, use the battery tender.

<edit: Winter riding conditions were wet and several times snowy. Though I have prefectly good cars I wanted to practice my adverse weather riding skills>

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

YEP...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
In cooler weather, the battery does not accept a charge as readily as it will in 70+ degree temps. Therefore, the rate of charge accepted will be less than normal.

If, by way of example, it takes 1 KW of power to start the bike, and you only ride it a short distance and it only receives say maybe 0.2 KW of recharge, then the battery's charge level is still less than when you first started the engine.

If that cycle is repeated for a few times, the battery will eventually be too low to start the engine.

Using a Battery Tender on the bike while it is parked between trips will go a long way towards preventing you getting stranded away from home.

I agree with AZgl1500... Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

I agree with AZgl1500... Take Care - Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.