Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just back from Turkey after 11 weeks work/holiday. Battery dead on the 1800 (well it is almost 2 years old). I should have left it on a tender but forgot and now the battery is too far gone to recover.
I'd like to put a good quality battery in so price isn't a worry, I just need to know what you people consider to be a good make. Thanks.

BTW, this new forum was only a few weeks old when I left. Certainly has matured nicely and there seems to be a few more Gurus from the USA and Canada that know their stuff. Well done. At least Jason isn't alone in trying to help everyone out!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

To be honest, I have never read any articles on batteries saying this one is better than that one. (I've heard a lot of votes from people, but no reports)

Personally, I look at the price. It never fails I lose the warranty slip or something silly happens to the battery that warranty doesn't cover. If I get over 2 years life out of it, I think I'm ahead of the game.

Sorry no help here. :(

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If you look back in the forum, you'll find many posts referring to batteries.. Yashua (spelling) comes to mind as one of the better (more expensive) manufacturers.. I've always installed the Sears2 yr M/C battery and gotten 3 yrs out of them.. Price is around $50.00 US. It's a matter of personal preference. The newer gel sealed units are maintenance free, and tend to last longer, but cost more. No matter what battery you buy, it requires maintenance when in storage and should be kept clean when in the bike.. Happy hunting!! :walker:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hawker Energy Odyssey battery is about the best battery I've ever seen for a Wing.

Can be stored without maintenance for up to 2 years, dry cell doesn't leak onto your pipes, deep cycle qualities, greater amperage for same physical dimension as wet cell etc.

I've been using the one in my 1200 for over 3 years now and still fires my Wing even when it's very cold.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:
Just back from Turkey after 11 weeks work/holiday. Battery dead on the 1800 (well it is almost 2 years old). I should have left it on a tender but forgot and now the battery is too far gone to recover.
I'd like to put a good quality battery in so price isn't a worry, I just need to know what you people consider to be a good make. Thanks.

BTW, this new forum was only a few weeks old when I left. Certainly has matured nicely and there seems to be a few more Gurus from the USA and Canada that know their stuff. Well done. At least Jason isn't alone in trying to help everyone out!!
Hey Grouchomax, :waving:your welcome back from Turkey but thats no excuse for a flat battery and your absence from this nest. :gunhead: The best battery in my opinion is the Yuasa :jumper: I have mine two yrs and did'nt have to push yet. :leprechaun:I cant remember what it cost, :crying:but as you said price is not a factor. :clapper:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The Odyssey does get rave reviews. I can't remember ever reading a bad word about it anywhere. Had one in my GL1500 before my accident but not long enough to know how it fared long term.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Isn't the GL1800 covered by a 2 year warranty?

I have had similar problems on Yamahas in the past and the dealer has replaced them under the warranty. It's not a 2 year limited warranty as far as I am aware so try your dealer first. If it saves you 50 quid it's got to be worth a try!

Steve

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

The Odyssey is the one to go for. You will have a hard time finding a bad report about them. Top marks for a good product.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

It seems the choice here is Yuasa or GS. At about €20 difference in price I think the Yuasa is still the better buy.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
It seems the choice here is Yuasa or GS. At about €20 difference in price I think the Yuasa is still the better buy.
"ditto" :clapper:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.