Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This place is having a one-day sale (deal of the day) and has a fully-intelligent battery tender on for half price. It comes with internal terminals that you can permanently mount in your bike with a quick-disconnect, as well as terminal clamps for external battery maintenance. $20 is a great deal for one of these.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

I've been using one of these for over a year with no troubles. Doesn't even boil the battery fluid away! I have the terminal mounts installed on the motorcycle, and in the winter I use the clamps to attach my truck if it's gonna be a cold night. The quick-connect lets you use both features without having to un and re wire your battery.

I got mine at Cabela's on sale for $30. It was in the ATV section.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I get these Black&Deckers at WallyMart for $17.99 1 and 2 amp smart load

I have three, one just for the Wings

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I wouldn't trust that, or any other Black & Decker "tool" near my Wing. Once upon a time, Black & Decker made quality tools. Now they make junky gadgets intended to be thrown away and replaced after they break (usually within the first year).

I hate to say it, but their "Professional" line of tools, DeWalt, has been going downhill in terms of quality, as well. I own a great deal of DeWalt power tools. I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill this year to replace my old one that had died of old age. The new one has been in for repairs twice in six months. It also just "feels" cheaper and less solid than the old one.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I've tried several non-BT "intelligent" versions, including the Wal-mart specials (Vector), and they would boil the water out of my pick-up battery. I also killed 2 of them in my car, also, from leaving them hooked up continously. Boiled them completely dry. We're talking big batterys. It's a diesel Toronado that sits quite a bit. That Black and Decker is actually a Vector, and I retired both of mine. I even cut the cords off to use for heated gear. Morram, I hope yours works better than mine did. If you have wet batteries, watch the water level.

The BT's work flawless, for sure. Never have had a problem with the Jr, and the bigger one.

I wonder if Motorcycle-superstore has that price for walk-ins. They're located right here, on hwy 62. I should otta call them. If net deal only, I wonder if UPS delivers from Medford to Medford. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Whoahhhh!! We posted about the same time. I didn't know DeWalt was BD. I have an older BD Wildcat 9" grinder, and that thing is incredible. It'll throw a huge stream of sparks easily across the street, with a 9" cup-cut stone. Very, very impressive grinder for large projects. I probably have somewhere around 1000 hard hours on it, and one set of brushes. It even has a 30 amp rubber cord. The rubber is starting to crack all along the length of the cord, like natural rubber will do. (ozone rot, I suppose)

But, they're product line these days is mostly Chinese junk.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I hate to say it, but their "Professional" line of tools, DeWalt,........ It also just "feels" cheaper and less solid than the old one.
That would be part of the Global Economy. It's happening with all companies. they have to find cheaper ways or bust. It's a sad :(thing. Hold on t what you got.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've got an old radial arm DeWalt, great saw
the B&D battery tenders seem to work fine, charge and maintain well and haven't cooked the batteries at all.
I keep most of the garage electronics on surge busses so I hope that will prevent any electrical mishaps

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I keep a Battery Tender Jr, on my battery 24/7 when I'm not riding. No problem in 5 years of doing this.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I bought a couple of tenders at Wal-Mart as well. Schumacher 1.5 amp tenders. They charge at 1-1.5 amps and then drop to ~0.25 amps to keep it topped off. $18.00.

Work great. Jim:dude:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've used the HF battery tender on my lawn tractor for two years, it kept the battery topped up all winter and early spring. Never caused any loss of electrolyte either. I used to use one on my SEi when it was parked for any length of time but don't use it on my 1500 with the Odyssey because that battery doesn't seem to discharge much in a month or so.

Here's the one (actually two) I have: Harbor Freight Tender. These are often on sale for less than $5.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

EX i second that had mine for a year and a couple of my neighbor's have use them for a few years and no problems

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

LDCSteve wrote:
I would not trust or buy Black and Decker anything!!
With ya there Steve. Black and Decker tried to burn down my house. Even the cheap Chinese stuff hasn't tried to do that yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.