Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new battery for my 1500. Looked around and the one I bought seemed like a good battery, 350 CCA’s, good reviews and the like. Bought it off eBay. When I got it and put it in the bike….wouldn’t start! Checked voltage across the terminals and was getting only eight volts. Charged it enough to to get it running and rode it home. Next morning it wouldn’t start the bike. Put a full charge on it and it seemed fine. Definitely started the bike better than the old one I replaced. Notified the seller (eBay), and they told me to snap a picture of the voltage and send it to them before they would replace it or credit it, fair enough I thought. After that it always started the bike. Fast forward to yesterday. Due to weather and a death in the family I wasn’t able to ride for two weeks. Went to start it yesterday and nothing! Wouldn’t even turn the bike over. Gave it a full charge and by then it was too late to ride. Notified the seller that I would be looking for a replacement but as yet not heard back from them. I know its the battery and not parasitic draw as I when I put the bike away last year I left the old battery in it and it tested out at just over 10 volts. So as I wait for a response from the seller as to what they are going to do I figured I should invest in a battery tender. What brands do you folks recommend? They seem rather inexpensive but I don’t want to “get what you paid for”. By the way the battery I bought is a AJC. Not sure if that is the brand name or just the manufacturer. Any input would be helpful. Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give as much info as possible.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,747 Posts
Honda always uses YUASA batteries. There's a reason for that.
As far as a tender goes, Battery Tender brand seems to come highly rated.

I have several tenders but always use my Die Hard brand. It's low power, (tender only) but plenty for the bike.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,458 Posts
a small parasitic load will kill a new AGM battery,
I bought a brand spanking new AGM for my scooter last August, and have been keeping a Battery Tender on it,
BECAUSE Piaggio in the manual states " internal theft monitoring circuits will discharge a battery below starting point in less than 3 weeks "

Well,
my RV AGM battery needed a Battery Tender, sort of "right now",
and what did I do?
set the battery on a chair next to the scooter, and moved the Battery Tender from the scooter to the RV battery.

then forgot about the "Piaggio Warning"
well crap, went out this morning, and that "brand new" battery reads 0.000 volts.

slapped an old fashion charger on it, does not monitor anything, just pushes voltage, and now the battery is back up to 13.3 with the charger still hooked up... but, that is only 10 hours worth.

Going to leave the charger on until tmw, and see if the battery will crank the engine??
bet it don't.

that damn thing costs $110 today with inflated prices :mad:

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
882 Posts
This is why I never buy a no name battery, especially online. You don't want to hear ygwypf, but it's true in most cases.
As Dennis said, that's the reason uses Yuasa batteries. cost more but reliable.
Not properly charging and then trying to start the bike probably damaged the battery internally.

·
Administrator
62,458 Posts
well,
I have done this before, and used the method described here,
and I got 3 more years out of the battery.

I am betting the Piaggio's battery will recover.

·
Administrator
28,788 Posts
I know some will poo-poo it, but I have used one of HF better quality tenders, with no problems, for over five years.
I wouldn't, I bought 2 tenders for about $7 each must be close to 20 years ago, used them uncountable hours with never a problem.

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't, I bought 2 tenders for about $7 each must be close to 20 years ago, used them uncountable hours with never a problem.
The one I have was like $20. It's been working fine for me. I did have one of the $5-7 ones quite awhile ago. It quit working after about 5 years, but worked fine until then.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
If you can't get a refund from the seller you can file a case with e bay, they will intervien for you. I always use a battery tender on all my bikes.

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So a follow up, as I believe when I ask a question and folks are kind enough to answer, then I should post how that question was resolved. After several back and forth emails they sent me a replacement battery. I installed it and she started right up. It started right up several times since. So, to me it proved the battery was bad. While waiting, I ordered, and received a battery tender brand tender. I installed the pigtail on the battery, ran it down the frame and out on the right side of the battery cover right at the grab divot. Hopefully, I’ll get several years out of this battery.

·
Administrator
62,458 Posts
I even put a Battery Tender ( by brand ) on my Suburban's battery.
as it tends to sit for many weeks at a time w/o being started....

I have a 10 watt Solar Charger laying on the Dashboard when away from home, it helps to keep it topped up.

the ECM/Radios, etc eventually pull it down .......

but the worst villain is myself, I forget to unplug the GPS sometimes :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts