Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several batteries in tractors-mowers- boat- motorcycles and other equipment. Corrosion builds up on the battery post. I go thru the baking soda and water mix and they clean up. My question is what do you use to stop corrosion from returning. I've read about different sprays and petroleum products. To hear from someone that's had good luck is worth more to me. Yes I try to keep them charged and clean.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
Plain old bearing grease is the best thing I have ever used.

Reactions: in2it

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I have good luck going around the terminal with epoxy glue between the lead and the plastic.
The problem is fumes coming up between the lead terminal and the plastic case

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
I forget the name of it, but there is a specially made Red Spray on sealant that resists corrosion.
I use it on my Golf cart's batteries and it really works well. Six 6 volt batteries in that thing, that is a lot of terminals to keep clean.

all of the car parts houses carry it

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
491 Posts
I forget the name of it, but there is a specially made Red Spray on sealant that resists corrosion.
I use it on my Golf cart's batteries and it really works well. Six 6 volt batteries in that thing, that is a lot of terminals to keep clean.

all of the car parts houses carry it

·
Registered
501 Posts
+1... I use the CRC Battery Terminal Protector. But only if I see signs of an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I worked on walk behind forklifts. They have 4 6volt lead acid batteries. The machine was used 8 hours, charged 8 hours then cooled 8 hours for all its life.

We used this stuff on the terminals. It worked quite well. What ever you use, get a seal all around the terminal. That means I sprayed it under and behind as well as on top.

Castle makes a similar product.

It works a little better than the Wellworth. It stinks, and has Toluene in it, I can smell it. Probably the best stuff I have ever used.

The CRC stuff posted above works too. Its more of a sealer and goes on thinner.

David

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
491 Posts
I worked on walk behind forklifts. They have 4 6volt lead acid batteries. The machine was used 8 hours, charged 8 hours then cooled 8 hours for all its life.

We used this stuff on the terminals. It worked quite well. What ever you use, get a seal all around the terminal. That means I sprayed it under and behind as well as on top.

Castle makes a similar product.

It works a little better than the Wellworth. It stinks, and has Toluene in it, I can smell it. Probably the best stuff I have ever used.

The CRC stuff posted above works too. Its more of a sealer and goes on thinner.

David
The problem with toulene is it attacks plastic. Trying to spray that in the battery area would be difficult without over spray on the plastic parts.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I have several batteries in tractors-mowers- boat- motorcycles and other equipment. Corrosion builds up on the battery post. I go thru the baking soda and water mix and they clean up. My question is what do you use to stop corrosion from returning. I've read about different sprays and petroleum products. To hear from someone that's had good luck is worth more to me. Yes I try to keep them charged and clean.
Sealed batteries seldom if ever corrode. Wet cell batteries , best choice is heavy sticky old grease.
Also do not overtighten the battery clamps. If you break the seal between the post and plastic case there will be nore potential for corrosion. Just snug up the bolts. If you use a nut driver that is tight enough.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
491 Posts
Sealed batteries seldom if ever corrode. Wet cell batteries , best choice is heavy sticky old grease.
Also do not overtighten the battery clamps. If you break the seal between the post and plastic case there will be nore potential for corrosion. Just snug up the bolts. If you use a nut driver that is tight enough.
The terminals may not corrode but they do oxidize, which is a form of corrosion. The bright silvery lead turns dark gray.
Sealing them stops oxidization.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
The problem with toulene is it attacks plastic. Trying to spray that in the battery area would be difficult without over spray on the plastic parts.
You can spray a little into a small cup or cap, then use a hoppy or craft brush to paint it on. Works just the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts