Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Battery in 82 GL1100I took a crapper on me today. Took it out & it was almost dry on water. My question is: Should I replace it with a maintance free battery or a Walmart Cheapy? Any problem with charging these batteries since this is an older bike.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

well, outlawearl, that question is about as up in the air as Deer Alerts, Oil Types, Tire Types and the MMO/ SeaFoam questions.

I myself am using the el-cheapo WallyWorld battery. I have used them in all my bikes simply because they were so cheap and if they went bad, it was not too costly to replace them. Now that I have read some posts on here, I am considering going to a Dry Cell battery simply for the factof how long they last and the performance they seem to offer.

I am sure that there will be many more chiming in here in a bit with their opinions. Just thought I would get my $.02 in there.

Have you checked the voltage on your bike to see if it is charging or over charging? If so, what values did you observe?

Here are a couple of posts that you might like reading:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/4297.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/4232.html

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

These bikes are notorious for boiling off electrolyte. Keep checking/adding distilled water and you'll be fine.

The maintenance-free batteries might be okay for a while, but they too will eventually lose electrolyte with overcharging,with no way to replace it.

I go with the cheapie batteries and simply maintain them by adding distilled water. I alsokeep aBattery-Tender/Smart Charger plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Morning, I too bought a Cheap battery, The last one was good for over 4 years and I run lots of lights and toys. The Gell Cell and Sealed batteries are great but the only real advantage is no Electrolyte leakage if you drop your bike. I figure I would have more to worry about in that instance than an acid spill. My Bike has Rolled forward off of the Sidestand before and fell to the Crash Bars. I had two fellow Harley riders try to pull it upright but couldnt do it. When I got back they were joking that Wings don't fall but a Bow.

I checked then for battery leakage but had none, Even after being at a 45 degree lean for over an hour. I will stay with the cheapies myself.

One Tip, Check with your local club for Discounts from various local dealers. Also ask at the dealer if they will give you a discount for your club. Most will automatically give you 10% off the price. And most places don't even want a battery in exchange for a motorcycle battery. Ask First though.

Have a GREAT one.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

outlawearl wrote:
My Battery in 82 GL1100I took a crapper on me today. Took it out & it was almost dry on water. My question is: Should I replace it with a maintance free battery or a Walmart Cheapy? Any problem with charging these batteries since this is an older bike.
outlawearl, the option of using an AGM vs a conventional battery is personal choice you will have to make..

Do your homework (well actually you are startingby posting here)..

Basically you will have to weigh the benefits of an AGM battery against the cheaper initial cost of a conventional lead acid battery

Lets just look at a few key points..

_The average predicted useful life of an AGM in motor vehicle type usage is about 4-12 years (yeah I know a big spread)-- Usual predicted lead acid batterylife in a motorcycle environment is around 1-3 years.. The longest AGM I personally have going is about 5 years now.

_The storage periodinternal battery drain on most AGM's is around 1% so usually no off season battery tending is needed. I can't give you the internal battery drain of a conventional battery but can say it won't make the storage season without tending.

_If allowed to run down, an AGM isn't prone to freezing & cracking or damage like a conventional battery.

_Even if cracked an AGM is very unlikely to loose acid. The oxygen recombines inside the battery so no acid fumes are vented from the battery (a big help in keeping the battery area & wiring around the battery from corroding).

_An AGM isn't likely to run out of water & become damaged like your battery just did.

_An AGM doesn't need the constant maintenance a lead acid does so they are basically an install & forget type battery. No need to worry about the water boiling out on long hot trips.

_An AGM can be shipped UPS so on-line deals can be found.

_An AGM uses conventional charging rates so can be used just like a conventional battery can.

_An AGM won't spill any acid if tipped on it's side (most can be mounted in any position EXCEPT upside down).

_Some AGM battery's have the battery terminals positioned slightly differently so can cause an installation problem if the existing battery terminals are close to frame members or braces (look & ask about battery post position before buying an AGM).

_The cost of an AGM is initially higher so weigh your (personal) advantages against the higher initial cost.

I personally did a lot of research before switching to the AGM series battery's & my longest in now running for 5 years. It really didn't botherme to install a new conventional battery every couple of years but the AGM's ability to survive without any maintenance on my part means a lot to me, that coupled with the fact that I don't have to charge the darn things in the middle of winter is well worth the extra cost to me (I do disconnect the (+) battery cables during storageon all my stored bikes & other toys though)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

My opinion is to go with a sealed battery so you don't have to worry about leakage or adding water. If your exhaust pipe is not yet stained by battery acid then definatly go with a sealed bat. before it does get srtained.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wow, I want to thank everyone for their input. Twisty, thanks for your info & thought, that had to take some time typing in, but I believe it has convinced me to go with the sealed units. I was lucky in that I had a buddy with me that helped push start the bike as I was 60 miles away from home when this happened. I went & looked & my exhaust. Itis already stained from acid but since I am basically Lazy ( thats what the EX always said anyway) I like the idea of one less thing to worry about. I guess the search will be on today for the best deal possible.

Thanks again & this site is the BEST !!!!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

outlawearl,

Here is a list of some ODYSSEY sealed batteries that are on ebay that will fit your bike:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&mppfqy=pc+680mj&catref=C6&satitle=pc680mj&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=pc+680mj&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=67217&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

Also, here is a link to the ODYSSEY battery web site. This is the battery that I am going to instal in my bike. You will need a PC680MJ to fit your bike.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I understand the Battery Tender chargers are not suitable for Oddesy batterys. I think I saw that on the Battery Tender site. Will try to find that link.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I know I'm late here, but...

I've always (32 years of riding) used the lead acid batteries, living in Minnesota, cold long winters, I've always seen about 4-5 years per battery with just adding water when needed and neglecting the crap out of them during storage.

If the newer style batteries can give better performance than that at a lower cost, I'll change, but if the performance is only marginally better (6 years) for a higher (X 1.5) cost, I'll stick with the lead acid.

And by the way, I haven't seen much difference between the premium and bargain lead acid batteries.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Tony, the big difference between the premium and cheaper batteries (in the same series), you are buying extra warranty. As far as the sealed battery, definitely worth the + money. No acid leaks, alone makes it worth the price. I checked the battery, on my recently acquired 1500, and it being a liquid type (old school), two end cells, on negative end, were 1" below the plates, the others were barely covered. I'll most likely be exchanging it, soon.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

AGM No maintenance. AGMNo acid to spill. AGMMore power. AGMLonger lasting. AGMNot that expensive. Worth every penny that you will save by owning one.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
I know I'm late here, but...

I've always (32 years of riding) used the lead acid batteries, living in Minnesota, cold long winters, I've always seen about 4-5 years per battery with just adding water when needed and neglecting the crap out of them during storage.

And by the way, I haven't seen much difference between the premium and bargain lead acid batteries.
I tend to go the same way. Usually get the $25 battery at a Wally World or some such. Normally good for three years at least. They don't take all that much more maintenance, it only takes a minute to pull the side cover to check water level and make sure the vent tube is on. The ratio of price to the sealed units is at least 1:3 so for me the savings is worth it. If I lay up the bike for a length of time I connect my Harbor Freight battery tender. Did the same thing with my Ultralight aircraft and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I checked the Local Super Walmart & the El-Cheapo battery is $40.00. At the local auto parts store the Maintance free Battery is $71.00. For the $30.00 more I'll go with the MFB. Only problem is their out of that size. OH WELL!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

My local Honda dealer now has AGM batteries and for my 85 1200, it would cost $105.00.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Look on the internet for deals. I have seen the Odyssey batteries going for about $80.00 with free UPS shipping. There are good deals out there, you just have to look for them.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

When I bought my Odyssey battery on eBay, I bought the PC680, not the PC680MJ. I read somewhere(3 years ago) that the MJ(Metal Jacket)version was unnecessary.The PC680is the same basic battery, considerably cheaper and has worked great for 3 seasons with zeromaintenance so far.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

That's the same one I have. So far, so greatttttt !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Outlaw, not sure what state York is in, but I got mine at a place called Batteries Plus. Got one in York, PA. Put your state in your profile. It helps!

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

AGM is better for all the reasons stated, also you won't run the risk of battery acid leaking onto your exhaust and eating the chrome with an AGM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.