Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Considering running the Battlax BT-45, 170/70H 18 on the front. This is a Rear Bias Ply Tire to be mounted on a tubeless 1800 rim that normally sees a Radial tire.

Other forum members are doing this and I would like "The Family" feed back from those who may have experience.

Currently running a Hankook Ventus on the rear and will replace it with same in the spring.

Thanks for your comments.

Merry Christmas to all.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have one on my 1500 which I put on just before my trip across country on Aug 12th, just returned 2 weeks ago(yes 3 1/2 months) with 13,000 on it and the rear darksided.

The Battlax is cupping but still most of the tread is there. I replaced E3s front and rear that only had 10,000 on them,cupped and down to the wear lines, maybe could have gotten 2,000 more out of them but didn't want the hassle on the road of a flat/blowout or worn out sliding out on me.
Other than the cupping I like the handling of the Battlax, stuck like glue, lots of fast twisties in that 13,000 as I took all the roads I could find that looked interesting(TWISTIER THE BETTER!)
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Been there, done that. I liked the Michelin Pilot Activ better, as it tracs/handles/sticks better than the Ax.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Been there, done that. I liked the Michelin Pilot Activ better, as it tracs/handles/sticks better than the Ax.
That's what I got on too. I ran mine forward because I liked the tread pattern better that way.
Think Dusty did too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Many thx all. I will check out the Pilot too.

Any difference between the 1500 and 1800 RIMs??

Both built for tubeless radials?

Ned
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

The 1500 was built with Bias but there are some posts of guys having them on w/o problems. Darkside rear and radial E3s seen.
I also have been thinking the Michelin for the next time around.
Dusty & Rudy, Have you had issues w/cupping on the fronts?
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
The 1500 was built with Bias but there are some posts of guys having them on w/o problems. Darkside rear and radial E3s seen.
I also have been thinking the Michelin for the next time around.
Dusty & Rudy, Have you had issues w/cupping on the fronts?
Dusty had such bad cupping on his backwards battleaxe, he took it off well before the tread was worn out and went to the Michelin that I got. It's laying out alongside the house if anyone wants to come by and burn the rest of the tread off of it.

My bike has never cupped a front tire. Any tire, any age or wear.

I don't think Dusty has enough miles on his Michelin yet to see cupping.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Thanks bro.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,181 Posts
imported post

I have been running the Michelin Pilot active like Dusty and Rudy for a long time now, have gone through 5 or 6 of them. It does cup but it's still the best front tire I have tried bar none.
When it gets cupped I get out my 7" grinder with a coarse sanding disk, jack up the front wheel, tie the bars so they can't move and grind it down smooth again. Some like the BT45 but I won't run a Bridgestone tire on any vehicle ever again.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
267 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have been running the Michelin Pilot active like Dusty and Rudy for a long time now, have gone through 5 or 6 of them.

Dave0430, Do you run the Michelin Pilot Active "Forwards" or "Backwards" rotationally speaking?



Regards, Tony.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,181 Posts
imported post

Waldorf wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
I have been running the Michelin Pilot active like Dusty and Rudy for a long time now, have gone through 5 or 6 of them.

Dave0430, Do you run the Michelin Pilot Active "Forwards" or "Backwards" rotationally speaking?



Regards, Tony.
I have tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to matter.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top