Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Saw a guy I wave to every day get killed on his Honda today! A trash truck pulled out infront of him ! Was a wake up call for me, slow down and give youself a way out , 10 more MPH can be all the difference in the world !

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that wingdawg, it is a chance we take everytime we ride. I feel for his family.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bad day for you Wingdawg, but a reminder to all, that the only way to ride is defensively, expect the worst from every other road user, incredible as it seems, we are invisible to some drivers.

Take care EVERYONE!!

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
the only way to ride is defensively, expect the worst from every other road user, incredible as it seems, we are invisible to some drivers.
Hey Silverfox :crying:We are invisible to all drivers, and never forget that. :whip:

Ride Defensively is the secret to good biking. :clapper: Always expect the unexpected. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It's like a "Chess Game" you have to think 2 moves ahead!

But never ride "Over your Head" stay at a speed that allows you time to avoid a situation!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately We have been losing about 2 motorcyclist a week in our area. I know that the amount of bikes has increased dramatically in the last few years and the percentage of accidents probably has not gone up but it sure is disturbing to see these accidents in the paper every week. I definitely think about it every time I throw My leg over the saddle.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I agree with you Wingdawg. The stupid m****f***s around my little town of 28000 act like they are the only driver on the road. I dodge them everyday in my CAR. I cannot believe how stupid and self-centered drivers in general are. Even some long haulers are getting belligerent.

Let's keep our heads up and our vigilance eternal.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

hi all,somebody once told me when i was a fresh faced boy and takeing lessons to pass the uk test 22yrs ago,"treat all other road users around you as idiots" man its worked for me upto now!!!;),bri uk.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yeah in this little country of ours, :jumper:2% of m/cyclists make up the volume of traffic on our roads, :doh:but 15% of traffic accidents involve m/cycles.

:crying::18red::crying:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Frightening statistics Redwing, but I do hope this isn't putting anyone off. At least on a Wing we are as large as possible, and I doubt many Wingers ride around like maniacs. It makes my stomach turn when I see these fellas on super sport bikes racing around in shorts and Tshirts at the sign of the sun coming out. I always wear armoured togs, I might sweat like a pig and look a bit daft, but I've been down on tarmac in the past and without the layers, I'd have lost a lot of skin at the least.

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Frightening statistics Redwing, but I do hope this isn't putting anyone off. At least on a Wing we are as large as possible.
Hey Silverfox :stumped: Yeah, but when they drive out in front of you, the first words out of their filthy mouth is "Im so sorry but i never saw you" :whip: Treat every cagedriverwith contempt :whip:

:whip: :18red: :whip:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

My 17yr old son is desperateto ride motorcycles...as a biker I know where he is coming from...as a Dad...Im sh...ng myself. I have given him one piece of advice, remember that [suP][suB]all other drivers are out to kill you[/suB][/suP]. My none biking freinds think Im going over the top...my biker mates are just surprised that he didnt already know that. We have come to an agreement...he will learn to ride much the same as I did...though he will start on a 125 rather than a 250. 125 for at least a year...250 for at least a year...under 500 for another year. After that he can please himself...by that time he will be 20 yrs old, it will either be in his blood or he will be sick and tired of getting wet through...froze to the bone....and dodging people in cars at junctions that look you straight in the eyes...and still friggin pull out in front of you.

Im torn between letting him know the fun, freedom and excitment of motorcycles, and being the protective parent. Those of you in the same boat will know how I feel..those of you that have it yet to come...good luck...and those of you that have been there and done it...please tell me it will be ok.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Ah the agonys of a father ( and mothers). Don't panic you aren't alone, my 23yr old, suddenly up and announced that he was going in for biking. Saled through his full test and promptly bought a Kwaka GPS500. I tried not to fret, but it's hard, I've eaten tarmac in my youth and know what it can feel like, but you can't wrap them in cotton wool all the time. A couple of weeks ago, I get a phone call, "dad can you pick me up, I've come off the bike?" Heart skipped a beat or two, but thankfully he hadonly bruised his pride and a couple of boney bits! Bike was a bit mashed, but repairable. This will have taught him a lesson, I just hope it lasts.

I recon the only thing I missed out on when I started out, was some off road experience, a few tumbles on something softer than ashfelt, might have made me more aware of the potential pain of a fall. So if you can convince your lad to do a spot of off roading, it might help.

My parents were gutted when I got a bike, even bought me an old Morris 1100 to try to ween me away from them and Iknow my mum worried alot. It's only the same for you and I as it is for every parent, but at least having a dad who rides will stand him in good sted. I go for the odd ride with my son, and it's probably the most bonding thing we've done in years. You can't be there to watch over him night and day, bet he crosses roads whilst talking on the inevitable mobile phone, oblivious to cars etc.

Above all don't come on to him with too much wagging finger and doom and gloom, it only makes youngsters worse, as I'm sure you know! How about getting him on to one of the advanced rider training courses ASAP, might be worth going yourself, I know I would benifit.

Don't bite your nails too much, after all he's only taking after his dad!!!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

We are invisible to all drivers,

Treat every cagedriverwith contempt

I Coudn't have said it any better , Right on Redwing , I ride like they are out to get us . Ride like you are playing a game of chess . always thinkinga few moves ahead .

:byebye:Your Friendly Neighbourhood

:cool: Zryder :1000red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Frightening statistics Redwing, but I do hope this isn't putting anyone off. At least on a Wing we are as large as possible.
Hey Silverfox :stumped: Yeah, but when they drive out in front of you, the first words out of their filthy mouth is "Im so sorry but i never saw you" :whip: Treat every cagedriverwith contempt
Not with contempt but with suspicion, suspect they are out to get you!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

Ok your a "Guru" so i cant question your words. :crying:The important thing to remember is that there out there to kill us. :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:

Ok your a "Guru" so i cant question your words. :crying:The important thing to remember is that there out there to kill us. :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:
TOO TRUE!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I believe it is the blissful ignorance that is developed by the false sense of safety that cage drivers have! It is my personal opinion that EVERYONE should be required to ride a motorcycle for some duration to know what it's about. The sense of vulnerability is only lesser to the sheer joy of riding. A cage driver thinks they are safe just because they have all that car around them. It causes them to take greater risks, and become complacent. I'll bet everyone on this forum is a better driver in their car or truck as a result of their motorcycle experience. Would anyone disagree?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

i have been very lucky.

been biking about 8 years and driving a cage for three, i havent had any major accidents ( fingers crossed) and i reckon its down to the fact that i learned to drive a bike first and then a car.Eric

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.