Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who here has used bear proof containers, has anyone made any themselves i have a 5 gallon metal can with a sealed locking cover that desiccant came in it is air tight with a seal thinking of using this for storing my toiletries and some dried food on the way to Alaska maybe some of you can fill me in on what you used or if you didn't bother with it. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
goldwing

After watching videos of bears ripping the doors off of cars. I think your best bet is to suspend stuff from trees away from where you camp.

Good luck,

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
IF it is on the ground, they will tear the top off of that canister.

been there, saw it.... that bear loved our strawberry jam and Spam.....
yup, he opened the Spam can....

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
If I even hear or think that I would need a bear proof container where I intend to go, I'm not going.
Yeah! He just might be more interested in eating what's in the tent than what's in that canister.lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Growing up in an area with lots of bears and then practically living in a cabin every weekend where the bears were everywhere around us I know their habits pretty well. They are not generally interested in humans as food unless they are injured or during the spring and the are exceptionally hungry and ornery. The are on the other hand VERY inquisitive animals on par with things like raccoons and they will investigate anything new in the area. If they even think it is food related they will figure out how to get into it. Bears are very persistent. And smart, one they learn how to get into something they do not forget. I have also seen the spam can deal, tow different versions. One was the plain bite the can and it opens. The other was hilarious and this bear had learned it before he came to our cabin. We would sometimes put a can of spam out several hundred yards away from the cabin and watch the bears. They were all over all the time, you had to walk past them to get to the outhouse! This one bear in particular would pick up the can in his mouth, take it to a large flat rock and set it down and then rear up and pounce on it with those huge front feet! POW, Spam everywhere as the can blew open.
Now this is in the Northeast of the country with black bears which are pretty docile as long as you do not provoke them. In the northwest where you have the much larger and more aggressive brown and especially the predatory grizzly I would not try this. Your best information will come from the Fish and Wildlife people in the areas you plan on visiting. They know the areas and they also know the bears, some of them individually.

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so even though this container is air tight water tight they will still smell food that in its own sealed wrapper thats put in the sealed air tight container, they will still smell this food from miles away? AZgl1800 was your food inside a canister? has anyone used a bear proof canister ? i've watched a few how to make home made canisters that seem to work i believe the main objective is to keep the food smell in the canister and not let it out. i dont plan to cook in my site i will say overnight at so there shouldn't be any food smell would like more info on this there has to be members out there that have used food containers to tell there story

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
Our food was in one of the popular Coleman 48 quart ice chests so prevalent for decades...
it is anything but airtight....

it was annihilated, and that strawberry jam was smeared all over everything....
the bacon packaging was destroyed, and all of the meat obviously disappeared.
the funny part for us, was the can(s) of Spam had been opened and the meat gone.

This was in 1972 before our kids arrived on the scene.
We were alerted by the Park Rangers to NOT sleep outside of any vehicle period.
Tents were not allowed to be set up at all.

So, we slept in the car. We were awakened by noises on the park table, the front of the car was pointed at the table, I hit the car horn and the bear disappeared instantly.

was sure glad the horn would work even though the Ignition switch was off.
I hit the Headlight switch to see what was happening, and the horn button all in one fast sequence.

In 20/20 hindsight, the food items should have been put back inside the car... we were sleeping in the front seats, and the 1972 Renault R16 SUV seats would recline all the way to the floor nearly.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have a friend that camped in the Searria Nevada’s mountains and his girlfriend was coming up for the weekend and he told her no to leave food in the car because bears were prevalent in that area,she arrived and the camped and went to where she had parked her new Honda and all the doors and trunk were ripped off and back seat was ripped out,she had put the food in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Growing up in an area with lots of bears and then practically living in a cabin every weekend where the bears were everywhere around us I know their habits pretty well. They are not generally interested in humans as food unless they are injured or during the spring and the are exceptionally hungry and ornery. The are on the other hand VERY inquisitive animals on par with things like raccoons and they will investigate anything new in the area. If they even think it is food related they will figure out how to get into it. Bears are very persistent. And smart, one they learn how to get into something they do not forget. I have also seen the spam can deal, tow different versions. One was the plain bite the can and it opens. The other was hilarious and this bear had learned it before he came to our cabin. We would sometimes put a can of spam out several hundred yards away from the cabin and watch the bears. They were all over all the time, you had to walk past them to get to the outhouse! This one bear in particular would pick up the can in his mouth, take it to a large flat rock and set it down and then rear up and pounce on it with those huge front feet! POW, Spam everywhere as the can blew open.
Now this is in the Northeast of the country with black bears which are pretty docile as long as you do not provoke them. In the northwest where you have the much larger and more aggressive brown and especially the predatory grizzly I would not try this. Your best information will come from the Fish and Wildlife people in the areas you plan on visiting. They know the areas and they also know the bears, some of them individually.

I agree that they are not interested in humans. We stayed on Skyline Drive for a few days and bears were everywhere. Even hanging your food from a tree will not stop them. They climb the tree and try to shake it down.

I woke up one morning and started the coffee. Another one of the guys came over and said the tree 4 feet from my camper was moving. He thought it was a squirrel. Turned out to be a small black bear that must have been sleeping in the tree. He came down the tree and looked at us like "thanks for waking me" and just walked away. Guess he didn't want any coffee!!

·
big PIA
1,367 Posts
Have a friend that camped in the Searria Nevada’s mountains and his girlfriend was coming up for the weekend and he told her no to leave food in the car because bears were prevalent in that area,she arrived and the camped and went to where she had parked her new Honda and all the doors and trunk were ripped off and back seat was ripped out,she had put the food in the trunk.
Just curious, did insurance cover the damage?

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
so even though this container is air tight water tight they will still smell food that in its own sealed wrapper thats put in the sealed air tight container, they will still smell this food from miles away? AZgl1800 was your food inside a canister? has anyone used a bear proof canister ? i've watched a few how to make home made canisters that seem to work i believe the main objective is to keep the food smell in the canister and not let it out. i dont plan to cook in my site i will say overnight at so there shouldn't be any food smell would like more info on this there has to be members out there that have used food containers to tell there story
Even an air tight container will have food odor on it and they will find it. A bear can smell even better than a dog, and wile I was a Military Working Dog Handler we were shown a pice of pipe that had caps on each end that were put on with thread sealer. The pipe had been run through a dishwasher cycle. It had 1 oz of Marijuana in it. The dogs could still find it. The bottom line is; You are not going to fool the nose of a bear.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Remember what I said about bears being inquisitive and smart. If you are alongside a roadway or a campground then the bears know that containers hold food. They do not necessarily have to smell it. They know in the past that they have gotten food out of similar containers and they will at least try to see what is in that one. This is assuming you are in an area where bears are used to raiding human camps. Out in the wilderness if they can't smell food they will probably push it around just to be curious about the container but not damage it. But remember, you handled food while handling the container, their sense of smell is amazing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts