Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey all great forum! i recently bought a 82 goldwing 1100 interstate, barn find. well im turning into a bobber type bike now. i took the motor out and painted it up as well as flat blacked the frame. after i got the motor out i realized a bunch of 1/4 inch ball bearings scattered around the bike :stumped:and for the life of me i cant figure out where they would go?! i bought the original service manual for the 80-83 year bikes and been looking through it for days trying to figure this out.

i have taken the back wheel off in order to get the tank out, i checked the rear wheel bearings and their all still in the rim intact. the front wheel was never taken off yet so they cant go there. the only thing i can think of where they can go is in the final drive shaft assembly. does the shaft ride on these bearings at all? i have probably around 10 or so loose bearings i gathered up. a guy told me they might go in the end of the final drive shaft before it ties into the final drive assembly. i can slide the drive shaft out a little but cant find a spot they would fit in. or could they be off the motor somewhere?! it just seems strange for anything to have loose bearings not sealed or anything. any help would be great. thanks again, ryan

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I really doubt they came from your bike. In a barn mice, rats, squirrels and other rodents will find a place to hide their shiny treasures and it looks like your new to you bike was it.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

I can not think of anywhere you would have lost bearings. Ken may have hit the nail on the head.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

man this is strange. i would think they would seem to go somewhere! i was just afraid to put the motor back in and realize something was wrong and have to take it back out. so basiclly on these bikes all the bearings are sealed?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rowingoar3 wrote:
man this is strange. i would think they would seem to go somewhere! i was just afraid to put the motor back in and realize something was wrong and have to take it back out. so basiclly on these bikes all the bearings are sealed?
Yes, if you don't see something broken the bearings are furaners.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Agreed. From what you described doing, there is no place for loose ball bearings to fall out of. The only place I know of on ANY bike that has loose ball bearings is the steering head, and I don't believe that applies to the Goldwing.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

walkabout wrote:
check to see if they fell out of the universal joint. walkabout :smiler:
Your u-joint has ball bearings?:shock:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

ken, i thought they did, correct me if i am wrong. i have been known to screw up. so ive been told. lol regards walkabout :?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

ken, i think you are right, they would be needle bearings. i have got to lay off the coffee. regards walkabout:?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

walkabout wrote:
ken, i thought they did, correct me if i am wrong. i have been known to screw up. so ive been told. lol regards walkabout :?
U-joints use needle bearings not ball bearings, they look like short pieces of solid wire. Needle bearing can take more load than ball bearings and are well suited to u-joints where axial loading is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

1/4 inch those are pretyy good sized ball bearings so i dunno i seroiusly doubt they came off the bike anywhere,

theyprobably got collected by rodents or who knows throw at the bike by kids, maybe the old man had a coffe can of them ontop the bike if the motor turns over and you dont feel nothin and the rear wheel bearing is in there there isnt much else

i dont even think there is any bearing on the bike that has 1/4 inch ball bearings i wouldnt get to worrried

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

The only bearings anywhere near that size are in the steering head. Easy enough to check. No bearings floppy front end.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
No bearings floppy front end.
I was wondering what it was. :ROFL:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Any practical jokers in your family Ryan? When I was a kid, we used to play tricks on the Harley guys when they parked up in the local mall. Like throwing some nuts and bolts under their engines, maybe a cup of old engine oil if we had any. Bearings is a good one, we never thought of that.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Zeke66 wrote:
Any practical jokers in your family Ryan? When I was a kid, we used to play tricks on the Harley guys when they parked up in the local mall. Like throwing some nuts and bolts under their engines, maybe a cup of old engine oil if we had any. Bearings is a good one, we never thought of that.
That is so wrong on so many levels, yet I find myself chuckling about it. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

That is funny... need to try that!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The bearings and bolts probably wouldn't work as anyone with a grade one edumacation:smiler: knows that the bolts fall off on the road not in the parking lot, but then again.

The oil idea is interesting but only a teaspoon of it would be needed.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Ya'll are mean:thumbsdown: Besides, I thought harleys usually do that on their own :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.