Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know we discussed this subjecta while ago under Dying of Heat but has anyone tried a "mister" evaporative type cooling system? http://www.safetycentral.com/24ozmismathi.html

I was browsing around on the 'net because it's 102F. with 60%humidity right now with a 115 deg heat index. I'm sitting inside because it's just plain miserable outside.

I came across the device above because I recalled being around a system like this a while back and it does indeed work pretty well in humidities under 85%. I was wondering about installing a system like this and attaching the nozzle to the handle bars. I'm concerned about the low pressure system behind the windshield causing the moisture to condense on the windshield.

I'd also considered perhaps putting a nozzle in front of the radiator that would only spray when the fan kicks in using a valve in the line. I'd think it would greatly enhance the cool down and possible reduce the heat being put out by the radiator.

You can put ice in the container to enhance the effects.

I know, way toomuch time on my hands. + A few delicious lemonades with anti-freeze additives has muddled my mind.

Oh well. Grandbaby and daughter just cruised in. Gotta keep my priorities straight.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I've considered putting a misting system on my wing. The only thingI see as a problem is that the mist will stick to your face sheild, glasses and block your view. It will also probably hit the rear of your windscreen, and sit there for a while. I have a neck cooler that is just a cloth tube filled with silica gel. Wrap that sucker around your neck, and it turns the arteries in your neck into something akin to an oil cooler. (Cools the blood, which then lowers your core temp, keeping it at a better tempurature.)

On the idea of the radiator mister:

Certain types of vehicles use that concept, mainly tractor-pull rigs, or rock crawlers. Basically any type of engine that runs near readline for extended periods of time, with nearly no actual motion to produce airflow. They are an always-on setup, but I don't see why something like that couldn't be modified for a wing. The only thing to consider is that it'll make your life even more miserable. Since all of that water is going to be flash-evaporating, it'll raise the RH in the rider area significantly, and therfore the heat index will soar. You could probably expect to see 100% humidity if you were stopped at a light for more than 30 seconds.

I'd stick with the vest, or a neck cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Interesting and most likely a valid point about the radiator mister. Now that you mention it, it would most likely create avery very uncomfortable hot and humid zone right around the ol' crotch area. Boooo.

As far as the vests: I think that if I was "forced" to travel in this heat on a daily basis or when touring long distances they'd be worth the investment.

Don't pay much attention to me, just some free flowing thoughts from a person with waaaaay too much time on his hands today.:grinner:Wait, what's that? I hear my lemonade calling me again. No chance of me freezing tonight.

Thanks all.

G-day.

hobie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I bought one of the Evaporative Cooling Vests. It does work! Not like turning on the air conditioning but it does help! I ride in temps well over 110 almost every day and plan on buying one of the neck coolers soon. Kyle bought a couple (the last two) for himself and Whatshername while they were here visiting. Been to busy at work to go back and see if they got more in yet.

The only draw back to the ECV is your shirt gets wet. Small price to pay! It's only in the 90's at 5AM when I go to work so I don't wear the vest until it's hot in the afternoon and I'm on the way home. At least I don't look all wet when I get to work!

Of courseyour shirtgets soaked with sweat when your not wearing the vest any way.Until you hit the highway and it all evaporates faster then you can sweat it out!

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

To me the worst part of hot riding is the damn helmet.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Hey, free-flowing ideas are where new products come from. You are folowing the inventor's process...

-Find a problem

-Find a bunch of solutions

-Find the best solution

-Produce it

-Have a large corporation steal the idea

-Spend tens of thousands of dollars in patent court

-Loose

-Take out a second mortgage on the house to pay your lawyer

-Find a problem...

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I like the helmet because it protects me from the bugs andmost of the noise. I always buy white helmets because they're much cooler in the summer, and are more visible to the cage drivers. I don't even noticethe helmetbecause it fits so well.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

I second that!:shock:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Hey, free-flowing ideas are where new products come from. You are folowing the inventor's process...

-Find a problem

-Find a bunch of solutions

-Find the best solution

-Produce it

-Have a large corporation steal the idea

-Spend tens of thousands of dollars in patent court

-Loose

-Take out a second mortgage on the house to pay your lawyer

-Find a problem...

:cheeky1:
Ha ha ha ha ha, so funny yet very true!

I went to a "patent help"company one time. They wanted close to $1000 dollar's of my hard earned money and they would fill out my forms and conduct a "patent search" and thats it.

No promises on whether it would even recieve a patent or if someone else had something close already patented, "They" would still keep my cash and my idea.

Hum, make's you wonder what they do with all those idea's.........................

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

down in the "dry heat" southwest people often use swamp coolers or evaporator coolers on their houses and they work great, however humidity buggers everything up. As the humid increases it is harder for the water to evaporate and so the cooling affect is lost. You really don't sweat more when it is humid, it just doesn't evaporate and cool you, that is why they have a "heat index" . to take this lake of cooling into account. Much like the "wind chill" takes into account the effect of the wind in drawing heat out of an object.

Now, if we were built like donkeys, our body temperature would increase a few degrees to accomodate the heat....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.