Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am in Canada and went to my local Lordco Auto Supply to see if they had any WIX filters. They do not but they did say that a number of motorcycle enthusiasts use Beck Arnley filters.

I have a 2003 Goldwing and he had a listing for a Fram filter (which I will not use) only for 2008 - 2009. It shows they use the same filters on the Goldwing 1500's. But it cross references to a Beck Arnley 041-8055.

I may just go with an Honda OEM as I just go the bike. They want $10.00 for the Beck Arnley and Honda want $20.00

I was also looking at the Lucas 20 - 50 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It rates pretty high and thought it might be a good choice.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks for this forum - And WOW I just saw the video and instructions on changing the air filter. That is something else. Looks like a good thing to do if you have lots of time. Any preference in brands of air filters? (Sure would be nice to be able to get on that self cleans LOL)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't take a chance on an oil filter I never heard of just to save $10. I think 20W 50 is heavier than Honda recommend for the 1800 Wing. For this time of year you would be better with thinner oil.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Beck Arnley parts are the cheapest of the cheap unless it is something they have repackaged from a reputable brand I would not use it. Do you have WalMart there? Their super tech 7317 is a good filter. There is also the purolator PL14612 or 14610, mobil M1-108, bosch 3300 or 3323 or wix 51358 to name a few.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Is that walmartST7317 good for the 1500 too?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Do you have WalMart there? Their super tech 7317 is a good filter.
Up here, and in my experience in Northern Washington too, WalMart carries only Fram.

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Oh..........and at the significant risk or reigniting controversy, I personally have had no trouble whatsoever with Fram on any of my vehicles over the years.

T. :D:D:Ddocument.write('/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif');

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Around here, seems like the only place to get Wix is O'Reilly Auto Parts.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Most Super tech filters are made by Champ Filters in Albion, Illinois. Their parent company just bought Fram. The best guess is that much of Frams production will be coming to Albion, IL. Just a guess. The State of Illinois just announced a big grant for the Albion facility which usually is a big clue that something big is going to happen.

Our Daughter is a Quality Control Engineer there but either she is keeping a big secret or just does not know if that is going to happen. All of my information comes from people that I know who work there and they are just guessing.

I do know that Champ has made some of Fram's filters among many other product lines for years. But in industry making stuff for your direct competitor is not uncommon as they just might be making some for you. So while Champ is a lesser known company their product sold under different names makes them one of the larger oil and air filter companies. They also are the famous Luberfiner company based in Albion, IL that is known by truckers world wide.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
So while Champ is a lesser known company their product sold under different names makes them one of the larger oil and air filter companies. They also are the famous Luberfiner company based in Albion, IL that is known by truckers world wide.
What you learn on this site! Just yesterday I removed a "Luberfiner" from my daughter's Honda Civic. Never seen one before up here in Canada and neither has my local Lordco auto parts store.

So now we know.............

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Oh..........forgot to mention that I replaced the "Luberfiner" with a Fram............:ROFL:

T.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

My Daughter will love that. I used to buy Fram filters for different tractor type vehicles that she could easily see the orange filter. Just to rattle her cage. A couple of times she said "That one is OK because we make it for Fram."

One friend runs a can press and he can tell you about every instance when a filter can be used for what vehicle right out of his bald head. Like a Kohler filter is the same as a certain Chrysler filter and the Kohler is about 4 times the cost.

Big tall guy that owned a 69 Ford convertable. You always knew when he drove his fun car because his head either had bugs on it or was wind burned from sticking up over the windshield.

Some oil filters are made using newsprint as the filter. Sometimes the most simple is the best filter. There is a filter called France Oil Filter that uses a roll of toilet paper. You just remove the top and exchange a new roll for the old roll. You may laugh at that but that filter was allowed to be used on aircraft.

Another supposedly crack pot oil thing was a re-refiner. For farm tractors they screwed into the exhaust manifold and sat above the hood and the muffler on top of that. Oil was pumped up into the re-refiner and drained back into the pan. We traded for a 40 year old Oliver 88 gasoline tractor that had one on it and had never had the valve cover off of it. Out of couriosity I pulled the cover and pan to look at the guts. Clean as a new one and the bearings looked like new. It had had nothing but used oil put in it since new and had never had the pan plug removed once. Just added used oil when needed. They did screw on a new filter every couple of years.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
Another supposedly crack pot oil thing was a re-refiner. For farm tractors they screwed into the exhaust manifold and sat above the hood and the muffler on top of that. Oil was pumped up into the re-refiner and drained back into the pan. We traded for a 40 year old Oliver 88 gasoline tractor that had one on it and had never had the valve cover off of it. Out of couriosity I pulled the cover and pan to look at the guts. Clean as a new one and the bearings looked like new. It had had nothing but used oil put in it since new and had never had the pan plug removed once. Just added used oil when needed. They did screw on a new filter every couple of years.
Is THAT was that is............like I said......."What you learn on this site!"

T.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Thanks Red.......

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Oh yes, 20/50 oil is way too heavy, it will be like shifting a cold tractor. 10/30 is the proper oil viscosity for an 1800.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

If you look, the supertech filters have the same number as the cooresponding fram filter. st7317 and ph7317.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.