Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First of all, hope everybody had a happy Thanksgiving. I haven't been around for a while, because I have been out riding. Getting my bike back into roadworthy condition was a nightmare, and cost a small fortune, both in money and work. It was extremely frustrating, and I almost gave up several times. Wouldn't likely have made it if it hadn't been for all the help from members of this forum.

Now that I have it back in top notch mechanical condition, I can't seem to stay off it. I have ridden over 5000 miles in the past two months, and all without a single problem. And the bike was basically a piece of junk when I got it, except for the engine itself, which seemed solid, and I'm now quite sure it is. It will easily drain the tank at 80 mph GPS. (the digital speedometer failed, so I am using GPS for a speedometer/odometer).
Only problem is mileage. I've been keeping very close track of it, and am getting an average of just under 34 mpg on the highway. The plugs do not show a rich mixture, and since it has fuel injection, there are no adjustments to make, everything is set to the specs in the manual.

Anyway I'm really happy with it, and can easily see riding it for another 100,000 miles or so. Christmas is coming up, so I need to slow down riding and spending money on gas for a while, so hopefully I will be back on here a bit. At the rate I'm going, It won't be that long before I need new tires. The Goldwing is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden, I already have my sights set on getting a 1500. The 1500 Goldwing is light years ahead of a 1500 v-twin cruiser.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

:waving:

Welcome back. Its nice to hear you didn't give up. It makes it all worthwhile when you are smiling going down the road.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

ditto! Welcome back!:applause::applause::applause::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
. It will easily drain the tank at 80 mph GPS. (the digital speedometer failed, so I am using GPS for a speedometer/odometer).

Only problem is mileage. I've been keeping very close track of it, and am getting an average of just under 34 mpg on the highway.
Let me see if I get this right. You're doin' 80 mph and complaining about 34 mpg?
Sounds like great mileage to me, compared to what I get at THAT speed.

Now, if you were getting that mileage at 50-60 mph on the highway, THAT would be something to complain about!

However, glad to hear it is running good for ya and that you're having just too much fun!
:)

T.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Joined in June of this year...... you have 975 posts and you have been gone awhile? How long were you gone? Did you take a weekend off?

Welcome back. Congrats on getting your bike going.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

My Valk gets that MPG whne I push her and I bet you have the same stupid grin I have! Good to have you back and healthy!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Hey Jerry, good to see ya again.

That kind of mileage is expected when pushing higher speeds, even a lot of stop and go's for me. Riding 2 up at 45-55 MPH is when I get my best, I can push 47 to 48 MPG. One up I generally average less for some reason....... I have put almost 7000 on mine since I got her.....

And I have that same smile the rest of you have..

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

That's wierd, I push mine pretty hard, between 75 and 85, my mixed city/highway milage is usually 38-39. But hey, the old girl's runnin' and yer havin' fun, if it don't smell rich, just keep on ridin' :action:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I know you are in Phoenix... so this might not apply but when it gets colder here, my mileage goes down 25% at least. Early spring this year, I got 32, but summer arrived and I got 42, now I am back down to the 34-35 and look for it to get worse before it gets better.

Part of that could be that my trips are shorter, therefore more in town stop and go, rather than out on the main highway.

Being that the days are shorter........and I don't ride at night, it makes up for the difference!

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

The winter blend of fuel they sell around here gives less mileage than the summer mix. That may be part of the loss in mileage as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.