Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the past month or two, the starter clutch has been giving problems. Starter would spin but engine would not. As suggested by members of this forum, this is not uncommon & Seafoam in the crankcase could well help by removing varnish deposits.

It is not riding season here & Seafoam not available everywhere but I did find a supplier. Put the can into the crankcase & ran engine at 2000rpm for 15minutes. Cooling fan cycled a few times. Stopped engine & tried to restart it. The starter motor just engaged then stopped. Would not turn hot engine over even though the battery was just fine.

Decided to remove starter & open it up. Relatively easy to get it out, but had to remove the gear change lever. On opening up starter there was a pile of carbon dust at the brush end. Cleaned it all out, polished the commutator with crocus cloth & cleaned between the copper segments. Put high melting grease in the plain bearings & softer grease on the planetary gears. Put it all back together & installed it back in the engine. Was a bit worried about getting the gear drive into the sprocket on the chain but went in easily.

Cranked the engine & it now turns over like an express train with no apparent starter clutch problems. Haven't actually run the engine again to get it hot & tried to start it again hot, but I think it will be ok.

So, 1 can of Seafoam & 1hr to refurbish the starter motor, cheap if it has solved the 2 problems.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Way to go!! Now you're ready to go riding once the weather warms up.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

These 1100 are tough on brushes. Started my bike one day and it sounded like it was labouring, by the end of the day, (maybe 6 or 7 starts) had to bump start to get home. I did what you did and shes as good as new. Lucky the brushes are cheap and still available....Good job

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

So you guys just replaced the brushes and had full starting power again? Maybe I'll just do that instead of replacing the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

chris in va wrote:
So you guys just replaced the brushes and had full starting power again? Maybe I'll just do that instead of replacing the whole thing.
I didn't replace mine. The brush length looked ok, but I didn't measure them. I did crocus cloth the commutator & then reverse it & clean the brush contact area with it as well. No parts were changed, just cleaned up .

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Good job! All I did was cleaned out the dust in the end
and put in new brushes. Spins like a big dog now.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

you can buy a brush kit from stocker starters out of California for around $35. Handy to have on the work bench for a starter break down! No waiting for parts while it's hot & sunny, just an hour to fix & replace!!!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
you can buy a brush kit from stocker starters out of California for around $35. Handy to have on the work bench for a starter break down! No waiting for parts while it's hot & sunny, just an hour to fix & replace!!!
:waving:Stockers has been bought out by EMS, Elctric Motor Service, but supposedly they will offer the same service that Stockers did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.