Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently I have attended a number of rallies and the vendors are pushing a product they call a "Belly Pan" for the 1800. They claim that it will protect the underside of the engine and especially the coolant reservoir. They also claim it will stabilize the bike in crosswinds.

I've never noticied an exceptional degree of sway in crosswinds and have never bottomed out the bike.

Does anyone have any experience with this and do you have a recommendation? At $54/ea I could put more chrome where it can be seen.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tulsa among others makes a belly pan for the 1500, supposed to reduce the effects of crosswinds, keep the underneath clean, etc. I haven't noticed any particular problems with cross winds either. It seems to me the cooling fins on the bottom of the case wouldn't be able to radiate heat as well with a pan covering them. I'd prefer to put the money in the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I've had a Tulsa Belly Pan on mine since 02. It has dents and scrapes all over it from debris. I know several people who have had their coolant reservoirs broken and one whose oil filter was knocked off. A belly pan would have prevented this. I've experienced no problems with overheating or excessive heat from the bottom of the bike. I wouldn't ride without it.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A belly pan is a must for protecting the oil filter and coolant bottle. Its hard to say if it improves handling in crosswinds, I've almost been blown off the road with and without a bellypan so the jury is out on that one. A bellypan is much cheaper than having to replace a coolant bottle or engine parts that get broke off. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think the 1500 is as vulnerable underneath as the 1800.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

if i get the belly pan do i need to take off for an oil change?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

>if i get the belly pan do i need to take off for an oil change?

No; the main section of the pan stay in place. There's a front lip that removes--- two screws--- to access the oil filter.

BTW, the bellypan also does not interfere with the use of motorctcle lifts, like the sears ( http://www.epinions.com/content_135272107652)

I've never noticed a *wind* benefit to having the pan, but when I saw the hole punched through the pan (see my post above) and realized that the pan had absorbed a lot of enery that could easily have punched through the oil filter shell--- well, I was completely sold.

It's cheap insurance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.