Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many people have added an aftermarket belly pan under the engine to their 1800s? I can see the protection it would give if you were to ride over something but I'm also wondering if it holds to much heat into the engine and prevents adequate cooling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The McGuver diamond plate saved my engine more than once. Never had a heat issue and I ride on temps over 100 much of the summer, with a trailer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I put one on. Kinda flimsy - not the diamond plate one. I trust the water cooling to do its job.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I figure that if I hit something big enough to damage the bottom of the engine then that is going to be the least of my worries! Even with a belly pan it is most likely going to throw me.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belly Pan

I've wondered for awhile if the belly pan would keep to much heat into the engine. Some of you probably remember the large chrome, kind of triangular covers, that some people installed on either side of their GL1000 and Gl1100s, right beside and above the drivers foot pegs. I think they were nicknamed "stator cookers" because they tended to hold the heat in. I have wondered the same thing of the belly pans if it would prevent cooling. Another problem I just realized was when I tried to jack up the bike to check my stem bearings. I wasn't sure just what was hidden by the plate and what the jack might damage, so I removed it for jacking. Mine is the same Andy, just an aluminum plate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are aluminum pans that prevent rock damage and such but I went with the McGuyver and it held up well. Also jacked up my 02 several times and had no issue. It recently sacrificed itself when I pulled over a parking barrier I didn't see (sun glare and fairing width). Only the pan was damaged, another on order. My original aluminium pan I would remove before jacking the bike, but still was little issue, it surely would not take the jack without crushing.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
The McGuyver diamond plate saved my engine more than once. Never had a heat issue and I ride on temps over 100 much of the summer, with a trailer.
Same here, and how could it possibly effect the engine's temperature?

this is a water cooled engine, and there is zero air flow cooling effect at the bottom of that engine.

My McGuyver diamond plate has several scratches and one nice gouge in it. Caused by me jumping a curb to exit an Off Ramp too late, and the next exit is ~20 miles further up the road. As I grew up on dirt bikes, and weighing 275 lbs, it is easy for me to downshift, wide open throttle and pull the front wheel off the ground.... almost made it clear, just heard a very slight scrape as the bike slid over the curb onto the Off Ramp's lane. This was on the '98SE that I rode home from Florida, and that Off Ramp was in El Paso, TX... and I saw my hotel pass me by on the right..... Dirt Bike Time, and I did it w/o even a second's thought.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Air can still flow between the belly pan and the engine but I doubt it would have much effect even if it didn't. Get a belly pan, just saving the coolant tank makes it worth having.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've ridden in 125F and never had an issue except when I slowed to 15mph in Red Rock Canyon and everything got a bit hot, but get up to 20-25mph and all was good. It's rarely that hot in the southwest and it was no different before the belly pan. The least expensive is about $52 right now and the sturdiest is $75, I think it's cheap insurance when riding on roads that spread to have been where Mad Max was filmed!

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I bet a fellow could build a nice one of 1/4" steel plate (or thicker) and jack under that, just use aluminum aftermarket as a pattern to start from?

Weight would lower a bike or trike's center of mass, maybe better handling, …. like result when we added thick brass belly pans to our HO slot cars.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Thanks, that's why I asked guys. I know it's water cooled but couldn't see where I'd get into a situation where I'd need the pan.
All it takes is the front tire flipping a small sharp object off the road and sending it through the oil filter or the coolant reservoir, none of us foresee getting into a situation, but it happens. That's why I wear a helmet.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
can't remember who it was now, but earlier this year, someone reported hearing a noise, and noticed water under the bike when he parked.

the overflow reservoir was busted.
it just isn't worth the chance of it happening...
get a belly pan, even a cheap one will stop most stuff from breaking that plastic overflow reservoir

·
642 Posts
The McGuver diamond plate works well on my 2012 dont notice any over heating problem been in Oklahoma month ago pulling a roll a home in 90* temps didn't notice any heat problem just like the thought of rocks not hitting the motor.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
There is also a guard for just the coolant tank. V&P Accessories sell one that just covers the tank and not a full belly pan.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
I just kind of like having all of the bottom side covered up...

I read of one post where a rider somehow, caught a spike or something similar, and it punched a hole in the engine block and let all the "good smoke out"

apparently he did not see the Low Oil Pressure light and when the engine locked up, he figured something was wrong.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put a louvered stainless steel pan on.. It was relatively easy to install. The ‘front’ portion of it removes easily for access during an oil and filter change. The enclosure of the pan as it may relate to heat is not an issue. I am convinced it provides a layer of protection for the expansive under belly of the bike, I think it looks cool, and it adds at least 15 miles per hour to the top end as you twist the noisy stick to full grin :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Belly Pan

I figure that if I hit something big enough to damage the bottom of the engine then that is going to be the least of my worries! Even with a belly pan it is most likely going to throw me.
Not true Rickf1985. A sharp rock can knock a whole in the engine case and you might not even feel it. Loss of oil would be the only indication.

The bottom of the engine case is relatively thin.

Rayjoe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts