Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Alright, I got the new belts on (napa#250274). It seemed a little off….the tension on the left side was a bit tight and on the right side, toooo loose. All the marks seemed as close to where they’re ‘spose to be, but the mark on the right side bank was almost half a tooth up (?). I very carefully rotated it all the way around several times. Everything seemed right, but the tension still wasn’t perfect. Tight on the left-loose on the right. Pulling up to the top of TDC on the right side is hard and it wanted to spring backward. I think that’s why it seemed loose on that side and tight on the other. I think, because your pulling, instead of the engine pulling…the torque is reversed, maybe. It started right up, and ran like I need to adjust the points again or that it was cold or hadn't been run in a couple days. Afterward, I checked to see if it’d go on the next tooth over, but it’d be too far off. I ended up checking the belt tension at other points during the rotation and loosening and tightening the bolts (not the pulleys) until it seem to even out the tension on both sides.

Any of this sound normal?

Thanks!

Ed

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

That's normal Ed. We had a thread on this some time ago and many owners said there belts were half a tooth off even with the original belts still fitted.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can measure the tension on the belt with it in any position, so if you have to turn the engine over until the cam tension is gone that's okay. What you're interesting in setting is the tension of the belt, not adding the spring tension of the valves.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
I'm still seeing the right side looser than the left because at tdc the right side wants to spring back and puts reverse tension on that belt.
77GL1, the L/H belt is checked & set as lined up, then rotated about 40° counter-clockwise, then back to line-up position again.. At that time the pulley line-up & belt tension is re-checked.

Now on the R/H side it is different.. On that side the pulley/belt is first lined up for timing, then the crankshaft is turned one full turn (the UP mark on the cam pulley should now be down), the R/H belt tensioner should then be tightened. That takes the spring tension off the belt during belt tension setting. Some service manuals fail tomention thatR/H setting difference (I know not why)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
That's the kind of answer I'm looking for Twisty, thanks! But what's LH and RH....LH is Left Half looking forward?
77GL1, sorry, I've been in the engineering business for far too long. We useacronyms for almost everything.. L/H means Left Hand-- & R/H means Right Hand.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

This may help...

When you are sitting in the seat,,, right is right and left is left... :goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's why the nautical designation of port and starboard is better, it always refers to the direction in reference from the vessel's point of view, no confusion.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

exavid wrote:
That's why the nautical designation of port and starboard is better, it always refers to the direction in reference from the vessel's point of view, no confusion.
Very true, but lots of people don't have a clue that Port is left, etc....I worked off shore and've done plenty of sailing, too.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Nahhh....... Port side is the side the Port is on!!

Especially important when you are "Three sheets to the wind!!"

Gibe HO!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Nahhh....... Port side is the side the Port is on!!

Especially important when you are "Three sheets to the wind!!"

Gibe HO!!
True, Port is red and when three sheets to the wind you are likely to Jibe!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Aviation too... from the perspective of the pilot. Lt and Rt side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.