Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

If you don't know the age and milage of the belts, now is a good time.
Do a search on timing belts and you can find the part numbers for several brands.
Honda has a large markup in their price.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If your belts are of unknown age, it's time to do it now. Your mileage isnt' excessive, but if those are original belts, they are getting pretty long in the tooth. Johnmac's suggestion can save you serious money.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Two weeks ago I replaced both the camshaft seals (one was leaking) and the timing belts (while I was in the neighborhood). Everybody will tell you it's a two-hour job and next time I will get it a lot closer but for me, ham-fisted and with Shrek-like mechanical aptitude it took me a couple of hours more, something closer to 5-6. If you have any mechanical aptitude you should be fine.

I did have my bike up on a floor lift so it was a little higher than the center stand which probably helped me. But I agree with the previous post; "If you don't know how old they are it's probably a good time to replace them." I found one brand new belt and one that looked original and my bike has almost 77K miles on it.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
If your belts are of unknown age, it's time to do it now. Your mileage isnt' excessive, but if those are original belts, they are getting pretty long in the tooth. Johnmac's suggestion can save you serious money.
Cars using cam belts usually have two limits. Time and mileage, which happens first.
Who wouldtrust a 20 year old cam belt? I would certainly not.
Own a Gl1200 1984 and I amnow replacing the original belts :shock:at 55000 miles..

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Scott, change them for the reassurance. If you were100% confidentthey wouldn't break you wouldn't have asked the question, so I'd say you know the answer is to replace them if you don't know they were already done in the last 3 years.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Scott, every 3 years or 60,000 miles is a popular way, even though Honda don't have guidelines for belt changing. If you don't know when they were changed last then you should just do it anyway for safety sake.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.... if you buy your belts from NAPA, instead of from Honda... then the labour will be the most "EXPENSIVE"  part of the job..(same belt, re-labeled by Honda)/forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif... These are interference engines... which means .. that for just a second   (before it all goes black/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif) the piston might be coming up whilst the broken belted valve is coming down..../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. Ouch !!!! That being said... the PO of my bike changed the belts at 40000, and I just did them at 140,000... and they looked just fine...  examined them  very minutely, looking for cracks, chipped teeth, frays, etc...Nothing !!! as good as the Napa replacements going in .../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif Belt technology has improved considerably in last 100 years..,. So its a "Make you feel better " /forums/images/emoticons/smile.gifsort of thing....... but as long as you do not have to buy them from Honda.. its not a wallet breaker type of repair.. Silver/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.