Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 GL1100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the heads off my 82 GL1100 over the winter due to a coolant leak behind the exhaust. Rebuilt the carbs while I was at it. Got her all put back together this spring. Was syncing up the carbs and pulled the line off of the #1 brass vacuum tube that was screwed into that vacuum port to cut the tube down a bit and noticed a PUFF! PUFF! PUFF... Thought to myself, hmmm, I know there should be a vacuum pulse there, but I'm pretty sure there should NOT be any pressure pulse blowing out! ACK! Pulled the valve cover off, rocker arm assembly, took springs off the intake valve and shined a light down in mouth of the intake port to inspect the valve as I spun it.. Sure enough, freakin bent valve incapable of seating :(

Racking my head trying to figure out how I did that. Stupid!! I'll be more careful with reassembly this time.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
Racking my head trying to figure out how I did that. Stupid!! I'll be more careful with reassembly this time.
I know how you did it and you do to if you think on it.

·
Registered
82 GL1100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know how you did it and you do to if you think on it.
hmmm think I had the cam spun 180 on reassembly? Seems like something I'd do, realize something doesn't feel right, back it all off, then put it together right - hopin/assuming I didn't jack anything up. I've been workin on so many other projects since I reassembled that I don't remember.

·
Administrator
28,665 Posts
hmmm think I had the cam spun 180 on reassembly? Seems like something I'd do, realize something doesn't feel right, back it all off, then put it together right - hopin/assuming I didn't jack anything up. I've been workin on so many other projects since I reassembled that I don't remember.
Maybe not 180 but certainly not like it should have been.

·
Registered
82 GL1100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I think that's the only thing that makes sense. I'll be more careful this time. 😄
So I've about got her put back together, being especially careful to follow the directions in the manual.

My best guess is that I didn't rotate the crankshaft 90 degree after I found TDC/T1 and before I installed cam/rocker assembly. This obviously moves the piston heads outta the way while you finish getting the cams in their proper orientation before moving back to TDC and installing the timing belt.

Live and learn. Appreciate you challenging me to think on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts