Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i've noticed my gl1200i has been bottoming out alot when i sit on it (yes i am a big guy) so i checked out to see if it was normal and even raised the air to max but still no good. After checking around i decided to replace/add oil and change the seals in the rear shocks. My problem was i'm working nights and i came home and tried to do it with my homemade compressor and the directions on this site. Guess i was way to tired and i ended up bending the center shaft inside and now it won't compress. I did the other one this weekend without a problem. So long winded as it is i'm wondering if theres a way to just get the center, if a shop could fix it for a decent amount or just better off getting different shocks and fixing those. don't have much free time getting ready for winter and even less money. Any advice would be great, really want to get this old bike back to it's glory. Thanks again (oh and this pic isn't the actual bent one)

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Probably not fixable, it is a precision made part. Would be kind of like trying to straighten a bent fork tube. And I don't believe it can be replaced separately, though you might be able to get a used shock and rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

if you find out if a 1100 shock is the same as 1200 I have one you can have.. It will need a rebuild as I took them off and replaced with spring shocks. You pay shipping and its yours. PM me what you find out.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

1100 shocks are about an inch shorter than 1200s.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

oh darn, well I tried, sorry

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The dampener(the part you bent) is available from Progressive suspension. You can get them from BikeBandit. While you have them apart you may as well replace the springs...your old sagging springs are the reason you were bottoming out in the first place.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

well i measured my shocks from center eye to center eye and it's 13.5" so i'm wondering if they didn't switch out for the 1100 before i acquired it. and i can't seem to find the dampener on either site, think ya could send me the link? The springs still seem pretty good but there wasn't hardly and oil left when i tore them apart. I'm probably going to end up getting new ones eventually but i was hoping not. Going to be a while before i'll be able to get those. Thanks again guys for the help

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

get em on ebay for a song

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Ether you or me have aftermarket shocks as your shaft looks to be about half the diameter of mine.:?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

or for the 1100? I have a song... :)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

well i put them back together and back on the bike so i could move it around it actually rides better even with the bent shaft. I'm gonna try to get new shock over the winter so I'll have them for next riding season, because I'm really not sure they're the correct springs, ken you said yours are thicker and what I've seen on the websites they're suppose to be 14.25 inches long and mine are 13.5 so I'd rather just get the right ones, plus it'll give it more lift, I'm a lot taller then the last owner so it could use it. Thanks again guys for all the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.