Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

357 Magnum

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

I dunno man….. seems to me that most people ignore them. If no body pays any attention what's the point?

The Scoprio alarm has several versions. The more advanced has an ignition inter-lock system that disables the ignition when the alarm is activated. It also has a remote that receives a signal. Kind of pricey but gets good reviews. Is 'plug and play' with the correct harness (extra cost)

Plug in 'Scorpio alarms' to your search box.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

My experience with Alarms are that no one pays attention to them anymore, because 99% of the time it is the owner that accidently set them off or the alarm goes off by it self because settings were too sensitive. they become more trouble than they are worth. it is all about your own paranoia and what eases the feeling for you. My Harley buddies have factory alarms and they never use them

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:)A thief unless he is an awfull bold one, that's after your bike and hears an alarm go off would have to be startled enough to want to get the heck away from there. Not knowing if someone would look out . I think a bike is a little different than a car.

I think an alarm system on a bike is more benifical than on a car. But the best kind of alarm is one that is not obvious to a thief. If it's outof sight it is out of mind he won'tbe prepaired to defeat it .Such as factory alarms .

I don't use alarms on my bikes . I have a cable that I put around the front and rear wheels together and an eight ball type lockno exposed shank. If someone gets my bike he is going to have to pick it up he won't ride away :)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use a super low current led design that flashes once per 5 seconds whenever the key is off.
It seems to be an effective deterrent.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
imported post

I use a G Force alarm if for anything when at hotels or restaurants keeping the nuisances at bay. With the alarm on kids and nosy people seem to leave her alone. You do run into that one odd person whos going to push it but at least to me it seems to help people from bothering her.
http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/Alarm.html

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The thing with alarms is that there are 2 kinds of thieves. A joyriding punk would set the alarm off, get mad, push the bike over, and run. A professional thief knows all the tricks, and how to defeat every alarm out there. And a GL1800 is the type of bike that would probably attract such a thief. If a professional wants your bike bad enough, they are going to get it, no matter what. Some type of Lojack system might be better, so the cops could track the stolen bike.

A simple trick may stop the punk type thief. I have left a small sign on the bike in a highly visible spot, that says "you are being watched" I have sat back some distance away, and saw 2-3 people glance all around and move away quickly when they saw it. It may sound silly, but it is probably more effective than an alarm these days. I admit I don't look when an alarm goes off, just get irritated.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
A simple trick may stop the punk type thief. I have left a small sign on the bike in a highly visible spot, that says "you are being watched" I have sat back some distance away, and saw 2-3 people glance all around and move away quickly when they saw it. It may sound silly, but it is probably more effective than an alarm these days.

I like that! Alot. Great idea.

I'm not sure how easy it is to "hot-wire" a GoldWing..., then there's the steering lock to overcome also... all of which may mean just punching out the ignition and cutting a few wires to make the bike mobile again... but the cable locked to a struture, combined with the features these bikes already have, would seem enough to detour even the best thief.

As it is, it would take probably at least 3 or more people to hoist into a pick up.. I mean most of our bikes weigh in excess of at least 800lbs... plus sometimes a few hun more with accessories/gear.

Good question, one that I've wondered for a while.. I did get an insurance discount already when they asked about "anti-theft" device.. I told them it has a steering lock..that did it for them.. :)

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I have Rudy's smart light which according to a study I read once a flashing LED is almost as effective as an actual alarm. And on an 1800 put it in reverse before you shut it off, it is a good parking brake and if someone did manage to hot wire it first it would not start and they would probably never figure out how to get it out of reverse either.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto Rudy and Dave , after many years in the biz. i suggest a simple " bright " flashing led as the power consumption is minimal and it will get there attencion .

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Honestly, a good bike cover. Its kinda one of those outta sight, outta mind type deals. I sold and installed car audio/security for almost 20 years. Most of the bike alarms use a really small siren that you probably couldnt hear, unless your motel room has outside door access. Like has also been said, a pro thief is going to get it if he wants it. A cover keeps kids from sitting on it, and keeps honest people honest. I like the idea of reverse on 1800's, 'cuz I've been stuck with the button failed, it doesnt move for anyone :D . If you do get one, see if the tech is capable of adding a starter kill relay. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide...

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

A word of caution about alarms with starter interlocks.

I had a quality brand name unit on one of my autos. Wife took vehicle to grocery and locked car/set alarm and went into store. Came out 45 minutes later and the remote to the alarm wouldn't work (battery good but remote quit transmitting) so she just used the key to open the door and planned to drive the vehicle home. Alarm sounded continually and the starter interlock wouldn't let her start the vehicle. Fortunately, I was about 3 miles away and brought my remote. Drove by her vehicle and used my remote to turn the alarm off so she could drive home. I realized what a disaster it could have been if I had been out of town so I never used the alarm again and have never bought another.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I also like the cover idea. Not only does it keep the bike from being so attractive to a thief, but it also protects it from the weather, and people from messing with it. I'm not so worried about my old beater, but if I had a nice bike, I would definitely have a cover.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

What is it you don't think that your 85 LTD isn't a nice bike ???

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Poor boy Lojack system........

An old mobile phone hard wired into the loom and stashed somewhere well out of the way and always turned on.

Cops could trace it through IMEI code.

or......

If you configure it to automatically answer you could ring it and shout at the a%*hole to bring the bike back.

Could work ?

Dave.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I like the combination of cover and bright blinking LED when parked overnight such as at a hotel.
Mine is so bright that the blink flash can be seen through the cover.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I like the combination of cover and bright blinking LED when parked overnight such as at a hotel.
Mine is so bright that the blink flash can be seen through the cover.
I also do the cover and the smart light. :thumbsup:

I have even had people in Walmart parking lot see the flashing light and made a comment on the wing having an alarm system.:)

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

If they don't pay attention to the alarm,,,,,,,they will hear the 357,,,,that's my choice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.