Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, getting ready for my winter maintenance ... so what is the best mix of anti freeze/water -- 50/50 or 75/20? does it really matter?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I've always used 50/50 silicate free, unless you ride in -50 weather. Should be good down to -30 or so.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
I've always used 50/50 silicate free, unless you ride in -50 weather. Should be good down to -30 or so.

+1
i concurre with bvanemon.

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
Question from a first time Wing owner:
How do you tell if the antifreeze is silicate free?
Does it specify it on the container?
I have antifreeze here that says it is for all
aluminum engines but can't find anything about
silicates on it. I'm about to replace the water pump
on my Gl 1000 and don't want to use the wrong stuff.
Any preferred brand of antifreeze?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Go to Honda dealer, even auto. Get their silicate-free 50/50 mix, which I've used for years in my Wing. Insist on gallon as quarts way too expensive. TTFN.....papasmurf

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts

NO.Buy the cheapest gallon on the shelf,for all engines.You can buy that expensive Honda stuff if you want to but the anti-freeze you can buy at your local FarmStore,or Parts store will work just fine for your aluminum engine,whether it is in your CAR or MOTORCYCLE.The anti-freeze doesn't know the difference! Don't let all those sales scams fool you into buying something for twice the price.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
The % does matter and having to high of a % of water is an obvious issue. To high a percentage of antifreeze isn't necessary and can be less efficient in cooling the engine.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
It should say on the label that the anti freeze is sillicate free and being sillicate free is mainly for the waterpumps benefit as it will kill the seals and bearings if it has silicates. It really doesn't do anything one way or the other for an aluminum engine.....

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
It should say on the label that the anti freeze is sillicate free and being sillicate free is mainly for the waterpumps benefit as it will kill the seals and bearings if it has silicates. It really doesn't do anything one way or the other for an aluminum engine.....

Thing is,my 1984 1200 has been in the family since it was purchased new in October of 1984.It has 89,760 miles on it as i type.It is on it's SECOND water pump.It is on it's 2nd Thermostat.The engine has not had it's valve covers removed.I rode it to south Texas this season at 104* the whole trip,and also to West Virginia Laborday.I still use the G R E E N anti-freeze in it! Honest to God.Most of that bullchit is just to make people spend more money.Sure,it MIGHT be a little better,but the stuff on the shelf won't harm your engine.There is anti-freeze on the shelf that IS good for all engines that will not EAT the seals or pump out of his motorcycle was my point.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
So I think you're saying you have not used silicate-free coolant and you've had a water pump fail. That would seem to suggest sticking to silicate-free is a better choice for the water pump, no?

Thing is,my 1984 1200 has been in the family since it was purchased new in October of 1984.It has 89,760 miles on it as i type.It is on it's SECOND water pump.It is on it's 2nd Thermostat.The engine has not had it's valve covers removed.I rode it to south Texas this season at 104* the whole trip,and also to West Virginia Laborday.I still use the G R E E N anti-freeze in it! Honest to God.Most of that bullchit is just to make people spend more money.Sure,it MIGHT be a little better,but the stuff on the shelf won't harm your engine.There is anti-freeze on the shelf that IS good for all engines that will not EAT the seals or pump out of his motorcycle was my point.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
So I think you're saying you have not used silicate-free coolant and you've had a water pump fail. That would seem to suggest sticking to silicate-free is a better choice for the water pump, no?
No! My W/P did NOT fail,btw.I decided to change it to make sure it was covered for a long trip i took about 7 years ago,when i did a coolant flush.

Does the tap water in your country have 4 times the minerals in it?

We don't NEED the higher price stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
The cheap walmart antifreeze is made by the same company that makes Peak, it is just as good as any you can buy. Mix it 50/50% with distilled water, You cannot beat it.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Right Wing anti-freeze

F.Y.I: Had my '95SE 11 1/2 yrs. Year after purchase, decided to change antifreeze as regular Spring maint. Wing 6 yrs. old at this point. Used a product at local auto parts store [can't remember brand name now].
Coolant pump failed within 6 months. Pump cost me approx. $135 at '02 prices [have heard they're now up near $200]. Jim @ Venco Wings [where I get all my parts], stressed use of silicate-free product only. Did so; second pump has 10 yrs. on it so far.
This Spring, had to replace leaking 5/16" hose at coolant pump, as it had started leaking. Went to two local auto parts stores. All they sold was regular silicate a/f and some low silicate product [several brands].
Obtained Honda silicate-free; happy I did so. To each their own; my 2 cents.....papasmurf :)

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Ya I agree. For as much as the cooling system holds buying the Honda antifreeze isn't really that expensive when you look at the big picture.

It's the old pay me now, pay me later thing. Use what you want but I'll stick to the Honda stuff.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
common sense

With all that was said, I'll get the non-silica a/f and use the distilled water at 50/50 mix. (like all this is common sense)
Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Prestone 50/150 extended life antifreeze is silicate free.
Peak extended life is also silicate free.
If you have doubts as to what you have google the manufacturer and you can usually get the specs on that particular antifreeze.
50/50 mix with distilled or de-ionized water is the way to go. Most common types of antifreeze will turn solid or mushy around +5F. 50/50 gives the best compromise with temperature protection and anti corrosion properties. Typical 50/50 mixes will be good down to -30F or more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.