Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GL1200 project has a windshield but it's yellowed from age looks like.
Add to that the little wing on the left side is missing the bracket that holds the wing to the main shield. Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Sounds like you've still got the OEM shield on there. It's without a doubt the safest choice but pretty spendy, though I don't think as much as a CeeBaily.

Check Western Honda for a price. I've got one of those brackets you can have. I'll trade you, for any OEM screws you have from the others.

Any aftermarket shield will be thicker and not as easy to mount, but you can find them for as little as 60 bucks, brand new. That Memphis Shade looks good, but will be more, I suspect.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That Memphis Shade looks good, but will be more, I suspect.
LIST prices on the Memphis Shade, from their web site:

Gradient Black or Clear - Standard height - no vent = $120.00

Gradient Black or Clear - Standard height - with vent = $187.97

(Tall height is about $10.00 more.)

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
i have the cheapest one available, the Slipstreamer stock replacement from JC Whitney (also available other places) which I paid about $70 for, and am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
i bought a very good used honda shield off ebay. it was cheap. very happy with it. regards walkabout

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Probably not. I tried with my first shield and was only semi-successful. The OEM shields are Lexan and have a coating to make them scratch resistant.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
The best and cheapest is- Go get yourself a piece of Lexan at the local home improvement store. Take off your old one as a pattern, trace the old on the new, cut it out with a saber saw. Add side wings if you like, and you can make it taller or shorter as you like. Works great, and far more durable than the $100 variety. Its reasonably scratchproof too.

Remember- LEXAN - not plexiglass. Lexan can be severely bent over without breaking or cracking! 1/8" variety works the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.