Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to remove both wheels myself and have new tires mounted at MC shop.

I no longer have a motorcycle jack.
I was planning to use a car jack, and then set the bike on blocks to remove both wheels at once.
Will this work OK?

Any other suggestions?

Thx!
-Stv..

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Yes that will work but be careful. Place a piece of wood between the jack and the engine and be careful not to wobble the Wing too much.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also best to put a tie strap/tie down from the lowest part of the center stand to the front crash bar to keep from the bike accidentally being moved forward and off the stand and jack into nappy time!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Can never have too many safety straps, but just take care that they don't rub or scuff any vital paintwork as you do the work. :applause:

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
If you can get the bike up high enough you could put concrete blocks on either side and use 2x or 4x4's.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
If your in your shed, you must have overhead rafters as well.

Use whatever method mentioned above, then take a couple ratchet straps and go from the crash bars up, front and back and side to side, so you have 4 of them on, not tight, just enough to help balance and keep her upright.

Or Do what I do..... I tire at a time. Gives me ample time to go through everything, specially in the drive train. Front only takes a few minutes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've removed both wheels on my old 1500 with the bike on the center stand and a small jack under the front end of the engine. As already mentioned use a strap or rope tightly between the lower leg of the stand and the engine guards to prevent any possibility of the stand folding. I remove the rear wheel with the front wheel on the ground and then jack up the engine a bit just to get ground clearance and remove the front wheel. If you pull the front calipers off you don't need to raise the front much to get the wheel off.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I've removed both wheels on my old 1500 with the bike on the center stand and a small jack under the front end of the engine. As already mentioned use a strap or rope tightly between the lower leg of the stand and the engine guards to prevent any possibility of the stand folding. I remove the rear wheel with the front wheel on the ground and then jack up the engine a bit just to get ground clearance and remove the front wheel. If you pull the front calipers off you don't need to raise the front much to get the wheel off.
+1
It looks unstable with both wheels off but it's no more unstable than the bike on the centre stand.

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
In my case: Purchased good motorcycle jack w/wide, twin, rubber covered rails. It has helped me get both Wing wheels off ground safely for maintenance, whenever necessary, for past 10 years. TTFN .....papasmurf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.