Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

Yes, #10 is an interesting looking machine.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

Oh come on, a sportster made the list. :ROFL:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Odd compilation of motorcycles except for the Beamer.

Editor at MSN should stick to news by the look of his/her picks:cool:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

the only one I really found interesting, was the Motus.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I believe the Sportster model has been around longer than any other Motorcycle:? They do have their good points, they are nimble and very easy to ride and still get killer gas mileage. Our 883 got close to 70MPG.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
I believe the Sportster model has been around longer than any other Motorcycle:? They do have their good points, they are nimble and very easy to ride and still get killer gas mileage. Our 883 got close to 70MPG.
But top 10 best "new" motorcycles. That's my point, it ain't new. So what you can order it customized.
And then you can put loud pipes on it and change every piece of it yourself.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Interesting. The Sportster and the Yamaha Tenere are the only ones I like. The Sportster is simply too small for someone my size, but if you fit, it's a great bike. The "Ducati cruiser" is a sick joke, remember when BMW tried that? Speaking of BMW, no way is that thing a match for the Goldwing, not even close. I just wish Honda hadn't messed up the appearance of the 2012 Goldwing with that awful paint job. and the MP3? Another joke. As the owner of a vintage Vespa, (and a not so vintage Yamaha Vino 125) I know what a scooter is supposed to be, and the MP3 is not it. The Motus is a homemade piece of junk. It may be a neat toy, but how is it going to compare price wise and reliability wise to it's comperition, the ST1300, FJR1300, and Concours 1400?. And why would anyone gamble on one of those things when the other 3 bikes are a sure thing? You can sell a few of anything, but establishing and maintaining a motorcycle company is a whole nother matter. John Bloor is the only one I know of that has successfully done it, with Triumph, but he had the money, business skills, the best people in the business working for him, and a LOT of just plain luck. He also had the legendary Triumph name. In todays world, if you can't compete from the word go, your finished.

As for sportbikes, they do not belong on this list. They are in no way practical, usable motorcycles. They may be fun, but they are as narrowly focused as MX bikes, and belong on the track, not the street. I could not ride one more than 10 miles without being in severe pain for days.

I own an '09 Ninja 500 with bar risers and a throttle lock, that I bought brand new for about half what they used to go out the door for, because the dealer had to get rid of them, and was liquidating them. I couldn't pass up the price, and I live near a 100 mile long road perfect for sportbikes. But I have to stop at 50 miles to rest, and stop at 100 miles for a 2 hour rest break, then 50 miles later for another break before getting back home. Fun yes, but I do feel it for a few days. Don't know how much longer I can keep it up.

The only halfway rational sportbike on the list is the Honda CBR250, and for the same price, the Ninja 250 looks way better, and will blow the CBR away. It also has simple carbs, compared to the CBRs complex and expensive to fix fuel injection.

I just might have to take a look at that Yamaha though. I would actually like to own a bike like that, sort of a super KLR650, but just can't afford it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.