Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

whats the best oil to use in a GL1200 i live in florida so generally warm climate

thanks Ali

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I use Chevron Delo 400e. You can find it in Walmart in a gallon jug.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I use Castrol GTX 20-50 in my 1987. Been using it since 1977 invarious bikes, and seems to work just fine still.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I use the delo400 in my 1100, and hear 20/50 will be hard on a starter in cold weather,but don't think you'll have that problem.,,

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

I live in a warm climate, and found the 10/40 was a bit light, it made the motor a bit clanky, switched to 20/50 and it works well.

cheers,

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
imported post

Honda GN 4 , 10w40.

I was using synthetic oil in the 84 GL1200, and got set up with a new mechanic, who said that he uses the Honda oil in his because it is relatively easy to find, and it does not have the additives of a lot of the current oils, particularly synthetics.

Apparently some of the superslick additives in some of the more modern oils do not agree with the clutch in the older bikes, and can cause some malfunctions.

Just my (and his ) two cents. Also, if you want to fall asleep in ten minutes or less, here's a good link with general info on oils..... (nothing GL specific)

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

many thanks for the replies. i have changed the oil and filter, i put 10w40 in for now until i get her running properly and if i find she runs a lil rough i will swap out for the 20w50.

ride safe!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.