Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the best viscosity for an 81 GL1100?

I am currently running a standard 10W40 but with the new synthetics I am wondering what is best in this old 1100. Its time for a change and I was considering running some SeaFoam in the oil for a few days prior to changing the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I had an 1100 for a while - loved the bike. I ran 10w40syn and it ran fine. I also am a believer in seafoam - helps desludge the crankcase and I ran it thru the carbs. Marvel mystery oil - about 3-4 ozs every other tank seemed to help also

ride safe and good luck

PS - you opened a big can of worms with the oil question

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

rb7632 wrote:
What is the best viscosity for an 81 GL1100?

I am currently running a standard 10W40 but with the new synthetics I am wondering what is best in this old 1100. Its time for a change and I was considering running some SeaFoam in the oil for a few days prior to changing the oil and filter.
:waving:10W-40 is the oil to use when the weather gets cooler especially when it getsdown to41 F and below. Automotive oil of today is different than it was when these GL1100's were built and that's why I use 4 stroke motorcycle as it's campatible with the wet clutch. But you'll get many opinions concerning what oil is the best to use.Late spring I'll change oil & filter and refill with 20W-50 till fall then back to 10W-40. It's all personal preference what oil is best!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I love Seafoam as well, but I've heard many pros and cons regarding use in the crankcase.....Hang around and hopefullymore of our experts (not inclusive of myself) will weigh in on this topic.I can't tell you about weather and all that stuff, but I have a friend whose son-in-law is a crew chief on a very well-known NHRA drag bike and he recommended that I use Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic in my Goldwing.. I switched and the results were impressive...The bike ran much smoother and the difference in the shifting was unbelieveable.. I don't know if this would work for you in your climate, as we have hot summers and generally mild/moderate winters down here...This is what worked for me..

FYI

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

Can't find the Seafoam...and I thought it was a fuel additive...

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

oops! Quick reply wasn't replying...click, click, click..

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Seafoam - WalMart - From Thread Works like Dry Gas in tank
and like sludge cleaner in the crank case. Check for recent thread, has responses from the manufacturer on its uses and how to.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

i get my seafoam at napa, works great but i dont put it as an additive, i pop the fuel line off the feed side of the fuel pump and stick the fuel line directly into the can of seafoam then start the bike (assuming its already warmed up and carbs are full of fuel) then as the sea foam is sucked into the system i raise the rpm up to between 1500 and 2000 rpm, sometimes 3000 depending.... as it gets burned it will blow out tons of smoke, thats ok keep it up,its cleaning the inside of the engine intake and exhaust systems, carbs as well. now after a bit the bike will start to die out because it cant run on seafoam alone so stop the bike just before it stalls out and replace the fuel line then crank the bike over to get fuel back in the carbs, you should notice an immediate improvement. It dont hurt to add alittle seafoam in your oil and fuel tank afterwards.

and btw i also use 20w-50 summer and 10w-40 winter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.