Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Another newbie question - now that I have a wing with an RPM readout, I'm kind of 'fixated' on the RPM's. Is there a best RPM to run in before shifting? I've always just gone by feel, but is there a best number to run in?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

For milage keep it under 3000.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

do what feels right. The engine is pretty much bullet proof and long as you keep oil in it.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

I agree with the 3000 RPM shift point. This gives a smooth shift and good fuel mileage. I have had passengers think it was an automatic transmission, it shifts so nicely. I find these bikes shouldn't be below 3000 RPM in Overdrive though.

(You can, however, exceed the legal speed limit in 2nd gear, but you didn't hear that from me!)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I think my 12 responds best in the 2800-3200 range, but 3k is better for mileage. so, what they said...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i usually run it up to 4k in town so i dont have to shift all the time, on the open road i shift around 3 or so but you need the power in town so shifting early actually hurts because you have to shift all the dammed time.

just my thought

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I thought I had read somewhere here that running at low rpm's will drain the battery...I believe it was stated that voltage output on older wings didn't exceed 'most' draws until you were near or over 3,000 rpm. Just throwing that out as a caution. Of course feel free to correct me, as I'm fixated on carbs atm and have done a load of reading..most slips in one ear then disappears..but some stays too..

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
imported post

Uncle A wrote:
(You can, however, exceed the legal speed limit in 2nd gear, but you didn't hear that from me!)
I kew I heard that someplace before, NOW I'VE GOT IT IN PRINT... :cheeky1: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Uncle A wrote:
That's in town right:D:dude::cool:

James

PS; the CB550 will exceed the legal highway speed in 2nd gear too. (9500rpm redline)

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

You'll have fewer problems if you keep it under 9,000 rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.