Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was trying to search this forum for past threads on this subject, but I had no luck. So....
Opinion time:
Which is the best shop/repair manual for the money? Clymer? Honda's? Or are there others out there. I will be doing the majority of my own maintenance and would like a shop manual that has good photos and how-to's.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

While the electronic version is handy, it is a scanned version, so the index doesn't work and several pages are difficult to make out. I'd rather have a paper shop manual that I can thumb through and have in the garage. Is the Clymer suitable?

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

The Clymer manual doesn't even make good toilet paper.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mine is an '08, so I'd rather have the book that supports my model year if at all possible. What makes the Clymer so bad? I had a Clymer for my wife's Sportster (before I sold it), and it seemed pretty well done, although the photos were black and white.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

You can get the factory manual from Helm inc. may cost a little more than clymer but worth it. Most things in the clymer are OK but I don't trust them to have the correct information and wrong info is worse than no info.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Which manual is best depends on the model Goldwing. For the most part the Helm Inc. reprints of the orginal Honda manuals are the best. In the case of the 1200 that's not the case because the original Honda pictures were lost and the ones used in the reprint manual aren't very good. I'd recommend the Clymer manual as best for the 1200. The Helm print of the 1800 manual should be very good.

Helm Inc. 1800 Manual

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:For your bike the 1800, there is no substitute for the real Honda Manual. It is good and it is detailed and has proper and accurate trouble shooting tips in it. Also included is an sub-manual that deals with all the electrical circuits.

Costs no more than the copy's and you get more for your dollar.

I highly recommend the real Honda Manual, real OEM brake pads, real honda oil filters and real honda parts.

Not sure where some of the parts are coming from a the OEM aftermarket parts places but some of them are defective even before you take them out of the shipping box, so lately I do not even bother, just go to the honda shop and buy them, or have them order it. Really do not like doing something twice.

On an interesting note, I went to a trike shop and purchased two wheels with original tires on them, when I took the tires off the rim, stenciled on the rim.........it says.........
Made in Thailand.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Although I am not 1800 specific smart I agree with the previous posts. The Honda Shop Manual (HSM)is 99.9% accurate. The Clymer and Haines etc are not. They do provide a different verbage and illustrations for some procedures that when used with the HSM can provide a first timer a much better understanding of a process. Beyond that I have little use for them.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I agree the Honda Manuals are the best. They built the bike.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I'll comment I'm rebuilding a 1977 and down loaded both honda and clymers. I ended up throwing the clymer out not detailed enough and diagrams were too general. Shop Manual is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you all for the great inputs. The Honda OEM manual wins hands down. Thanks a bunch for the source URL link as well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There are some useful things in the Clymer manual. One thing they have is work arounds for some of the Honda special tools. Also Clymer doesn't assume you're a Honda technician as the Honda manual does so they explain some things in more detail. I have both manuals and use both, the slightly different slants on things and different pictures can help at times.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I purchased the Honda workshop and electrical manual from Cyclemax for my 1997 1500 SE ($60 plus postage) I think they got it from Helm Inc.

As far as I am concerned this is the one to go for much better than Clymer or Haynes.

The others are a good standby however the Honda manual is much more detailed.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

This is not for everyone, but really works for me.

I usually purchase a good shop manual before I buy the bike, car or boat motor.

Why? I like to know what I'm getting into before I buy the product. Regarding motorcycles, most dealers will only let you sit on the bike.

The 1800 being very complex the Helm manual really does the job for me. Case in point, is the air cleaner replacementsection. The US is different than the EU in some cases like removing the speaker grill. I tried using the one Steve has on the site and went back to the Helms manual. The valves are not adjustable like my VTX 1300, they are shimmed. Wanted to know all the pit-falls before the purchase.

Like I said, not for everyone but it gives you the inside track before the purchase.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I would be inclined to buy the Honda one initially or even a much cheaper Haynesand add the others as and when you see one going cheaply, this will give you options to follow. Sometimes I have found the description in one much easier to follow and visa versa.

I would also download the free ones from on here, after all they are free and are easy to peruse when sitting at your puter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.