Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I would go with the stock plugs. I have always had good performance and long life with them.
NGK DPR7EA-9

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many spark plugs do i need??? 1998 1500 gw

How many do I need ? Thanks all!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Well since its a 6 cylinder u need 6 spark plugs..Have an shop manual yet? If not better invest in one and start reading up on her....Or if your not the mechanically inclined type, find your local nearest good bike shop and pay em a visit...Enjoy the new bike!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Like stated in your other thread you started, yes u will need 6 spark plugs...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Agreed, just stay with the stock NGK, 6 of them as the 1500 is a 6 cylinder motor.
No need to spend extra money on someones claim of better anything. Definitely stay away from other brands. Have too many other brands end up being a problem of a bike not running.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Congrats! It was obvious this was a new job for you (questioning the number of plugs needed) so doing it is great. Now you can start playing with all the other fun stuff like coolant, timing belts...
Oh - and I agree. I have kept the stock type (NGK DPR7ea) in there so far for all 93,000 plus miles.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Well done. That's the way to get into enjoying owning your new bike, starting to do your own maintenance and understanding it all. Never be afraid to ask even the most basic questions. You'll always get good advice on this site.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I recently picked up a 99 gl1500 with 24k on it. The original was very meticulous with his maintenance but was very sick when I purchased the bike, so I didnt get a chance to ask him if he had changed or checked the plugs. Bike runs perfect, but was wondering whats the recommended plug change mileage and what are the looking like when you have removed them? thx

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
The handbook says change them every 12k miles. This is a question that I'm sure will attract a lot of differing answers. Some people change theirs very regularly with others going way past 12k miles if the plugs still look good.
They are like any other plug in that you examine the electrode for wear, gap measurement and colour (compare to a new one if you are not sure what electrodes should look like) and examine for any sign of cracking in the porcelain.
Personally, I think they are cheap enough to change annually.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
I bought my 98 in jan 2009 and it only had 17,000 miles on it. I started doing basic maintenance then. Changed everything, oil(looked like chocolate) filters, air, fluids, etc, and plugs. I now have over 60,000 miles and it runs like a top. They are cheap so I think it depends on what they look like and keep them clean.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
The 'book' (Clymer manual) says change the plugs every 8000 miles. I usually go about double that, or every two years. Have never had a plug related issue and that includes lack of power/economy from the bike.
Of course the same book says to change the oil every 8000 miles, too. Go figure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.