Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a plug kit and a small compressor to carry with me on the bike. Just wondering what brand everyone has and likes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am not sure of the best brand, but on the plugs get the ones that look like twisted rope. I have found that these work and hold the best in tires compared to the flat rubber ones.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
I have two of the portable 12 volt air compressors, one is huge and meant for truck tires and it does a great job in a fairly fast hurry.

The 2nd one is in a box about 4 inches square by 12 inches long.
That one does okay and is more than "good enough",
still though, it is a bit large for a saddle bag. But as I already have it,
and I now own a pull behind trailer, it will go along for the ride on trips.
I found it in an O'Reillys auto store about 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
there is a small comp. in a pouch made by slime that isn't much bigger than a pack of smokes, it works good for the bike tires and such as an emergency pump. I have mine in the little side area in the trunk along with another small pouch with rope plugs and tire gauge and a mag flashlight

·
Registered
187 Posts
In my research and first hand experience, Safety Seal looks to be the most advanced with durable hand tools and great plugs.

Still searching for the ideal mini compressor.

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
there is a small comp. in a pouch made by slime that isn't much bigger than a pack of smokes, it works good for the bike tires and such as an emergency pump. I have mine in the little side area in the trunk along with another small pouch with rope plugs and tire gauge and a mag flashlight
Just curious, does your 1500SE not have a built in air compressor?

·
Premium Member
56,825 Posts
Wally World has a Slime compressor for around $10.00 and plug kits are all about the same.. Along with the tire kit, I also carry a 1 inch wide ratchet strap belt.. If you happen to lose the bead you'll never get the tire to aired without first setting the bead...........

·
Registered
383 Posts
Slime plugs and small slime compressor in my 1800. Slime plugs in the 1500 and on board compressor. Have used the plugs a couple of times and they worked great. No leaks. Go with a compressor. It would take a lot of CO2 carts to fill one of these tires so you could ride it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 86 aspencade has air ride with of course the built in compressor ,, The one cord that came with the bike , or so I though it was a cord for head phone or CB. but discovered it is a air hose to go from the compressor outlet by the right knee board to a tire that needs pumping . I tried it on just a extra tire I had laying around and found it to work very nice . Didn't take more than maybe 3 or 4 minutes to pump the tire up to thirty pounds . I just bought this bike last fall and maybe rode it 10 miles so I was surprised it would have an attachment like that .. Maybe I'm just fortunate to have one that works as good as it does . :) and I might add a very nice option for such an old bike .. I don't think it will take much to make me like the old wing . looking forward to spring ..

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Wally World has a Slime compressor for around $10.00 and plug kits are all about the same.. Along with the tire kit, I also carry a 1 inch wide ratchet strap belt.. If you happen to lose the bead you'll never get the tire to aired without first setting the bead...........
Good suggestion on the strap Foodman!

·
Premium Member
56,825 Posts
I had a tire go down at high speed.. Trying to keep control and slow gradually I lost the bead, the guy that stopped to help had a large tank of air.. Even with the high pressure in the tank we couldn't get the bead to set.. I noticed there was a strap in the back of his truck, problem solved.. So that's why I carry one.. I have used it once on someone else's tire and it worked with the small compressor .....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 96 1500 SE and I have yet to see an air hose anywhere to use to pump up the tires if needed, can anyone tell me where to look? I would prefer not to carry the Slime air compressor in the saddlebag if it's not needed.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I own a 96 1500 SE and I have yet to see an air hose anywhere to use to pump up the tires if needed, can anyone tell me where to look? I would prefer not to carry the Slime air compressor in the saddlebag if it's not needed.
You may not have the hose but look in the right saddle bag for the place to hook it up.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
I had my rear tire go flat while riding the Big Horns. Long story short,,,,,, On board compressor would only bring the tire up to 20lbs. Also had the "Mini" Slime compressor,, and it gave the same result, 20lbs.
I got the next size Slime compressor ( the kit with the bottle of slime) I threw the bottle away, won't put that crap in my tires. But the compressor works very well. I've tested it on a few tires and it inflated them to full pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.