Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing GL 1100 SC02
21 Posts
if you check out the guys site that I sent you a link to, you will see that the alloy elbows clamp to the new manifold, you need to use new clamps but it all works- no problem.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I read that,confused me a little bit.thanks for the update.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I read that,confused me a little bit.thanks for the update.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
something important to know about the EMPI carbs- the butterfly in the bottom of the carb has a hole in it, which is related to VWs timing- it needs to be blocked by simply putting a rivet in it which is easy to do, if you don't do it, you will have a big flat spot and lots of people tear their hair out trying to figure out why...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,087 Posts
something important to know about the EMPI carbs- the butterfly in the bottom of the carb has a hole in it, which is related to VWs timing- it needs to be blocked by simply putting a rivet in it which is easy to do, if you don't do it, you will have a big flat spot and lots of people tear their hair out trying to figure out why...
that is something that I don't recall hearing about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I am using one made by a clever dude in Lithuania of all places- he ships all over the World, he has studied the icing up problem of some systems and claims it all comes down to the plenum chamber design, at first I thought it was bs but he is right- maybe if you live in an ultra cold environment it could be a problem but I don't think it is - and the difference between the four carb set up and the single EMPI set up is incredible, it feels like a two stroke.... :LOL: I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link for his stuff here, but here it is anyway ( he also does kits for ST 1100s and Viragos etc) very good guy to deal with very communicative and intelligent- I had to play with jetting for awhile, but got it sorted really well so if you need any help feel free to ask ( I read a lot of misleading information on this topic on various forums) Goldwing GL1000-1100 Single Carburetor Manifold ALUMINUM | eBay
Hello Ian
I just received an intake and carb for Christmas, and wondering what you did with the extra two vacuum connections on the carb and tubes that went to the old air box from the engine block?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been doing a fair amount of research on a single carb conversion for my GL 1200 but I'm still confused about the various VW clone carburetor models.
Can anyone tell me the specific model that would be best for a GL 1200 conversion.
Thanks
Scott
Hi I have one on my GL 1100 and it is excellent, use an EMPI PICT 34 - and the chinese copies are fine- there is a lot of stuff written about these conversions that just isnt true, mainly by people who havent understood the whole process-

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's my thought, they didn't work very well on a car they were made for so I wouldn't expect much.
they work very well and blow the 4 carb set up away, improved torque, better fuel consumption and no more tinkering with carb synch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Ian
I just received an intake and carb for Christmas, and wondering what you did with the extra two vacuum connections on the carb and tubes that went to the old air box from the engine block?
hi link them together with a short tube, they arent required.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi link them together with a short tube, they arent required.
also, if you have a hole in the butterfly at the base of the carb you will need to block it off, you can use a rivet without removing anything, if not it will interfere with the tuning...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ian
I've been playing with this single carb setup and wondering what size jets you ended up using? I also riveted the hole in the throttle butterfly and it seemed to make things much worse.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Steve

·
Administrator
27,321 Posts
That hole is there for a reason. The butterfly should be set to where it is all the way closed then just 1/4 turn of the base idle screw so it's not completely closed then adjust the idle speed with the large screw on the side. The small screw on the side is the idle mixture. No idea about the jets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Ian
Hi Ian
I've been playing with this single carb setup and wondering what size jets you ended up using? I also riveted the hole in the throttle butterfly and it seemed to make things much worse.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Steve
Hey Steve, I have found that the best carbs are actually the chinese copies, they dont ice up in cold weather not sure why, the hole in the bottom does have a positive effect on the performance and tuning, whatever people say ( it is there for the VWs to compensate for the timing they use- so blocking it helps for tuning purposes on the bike, I have found that the jet sizes need to be a 50 pilot, or even smaller, a 45 even works, and the main 130 - ( I am in France and running my bike on 95 octane so in the US you may have lower octane fuel) the adjustments for tuning when on the bike are very small, it doesnt take a lot of movement ( the smaller screw is the one that effects the mixture and the big one will increase the idle speed ) and make sure that the screw that adjusts the triangular plate is set right ( the plate pivots freely and is part of the automatic choke set up) it is worth perservering with your project, you will get it right, however it does take a bit of time and patience :cool::p

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Back in the 60's Honda used engine oil to provide carb heat in some of their small bikes.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts