Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1997 Aspencade GL1500, and my Zumo 550 is in the mail and should arrive in a day or so. In anticipation of it's arrival, I've been asking my riding buddies (all Harley guys) about the best way to hardwire a Zumo GPS in on a Goldwing. None of them seem to agree, and I have received about 5 different suggestions, each with it's various merits. What has the Goldwing community found is the best way to mount, and especially hardwire (for power), this thing in? Do you go straight to the battery, the fuse block, theaccessory switch on the ignition?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Accessory terminal on the fuse block is the most popular way. Even if you are using an interface for the voice prompts thru your helmet, the interface usually gets connected to the accessory terminal.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

i wired mine through the accesory terminal, only thing with this is when you stop say to fill for fuel, you turn the bike off and a timer starts, continue on battery power, if you dont press yes in that time the sat nav has to boot up again, direct to the battery would of course eliminate this but also can end up with you leaving the sat nav turned on after you get off the bike. By the way, great unit

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Check out ram-mount.com for mounting options.

Check out goldwingtech.info/auxwiring/auxpwrwiring.html for a good approach to supplying power. It might seem like overkill, but it will save you a lot of time in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

The 550 shown is on a Ram Mount, mounted to the Left handle bar. Wired to the accessory fuse terminal with an inline fuse. Works very well. I do not have the XM radio or the Blue Tooth set up finished yet.:(

Looks like Christmas Time situation if I'm a good boy and don't pout. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

The 550 is preferred over the GPS unit that came with the 1800. Free down loads every year for the 550.

You made a good choice.

Longboater

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Super answers folks - they are all extremely helpful. I will go with a left side RAM mount and the power off of the accessory terminal. Especially thanks to Longboater for taking the time and trouble to post pictures.

Tim Aines, Northbrook, Illinois

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

remember as well this unit takes a SD memory card, great for music and when the commands come on it stops the music, gives you the command and then the music carries on, the screen is great to see, even in direct sunlight, as i said its a great unit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.