Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got started back on my 1500. I don't like the feel of the front bearing. I pulled out my service manual. It says a special to needed to remove front wheel bearings. I can see that once one side is out the other side should be easy. But what can be used to remove the bearing without damaging the spacer collar in the center?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and buy a bearing removal kit. Sounds like you're going to be changing it out more often than most. You might as well get the proper tool than trying to go the cheap route and end up damaging a wheel.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Speaking from previous experience,if you could locate or know someone with a hydrolyic arbor press (repair shop, machine shop,etc) that can press out the old bearings,then press back in the newones,the job can be done in one felt swoop, w/o removing the tire!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I went over to a friends house this afternoon that races dirt bikes and has more shop tools than any 10 people I know. He said that a good punch and a socket is the best tool in the world for front wheel bearings. A good punch and 5 minutes later my bearings are in. Special tool not needed for this. After changing the first set, I know why some people change them at every tire. Some manuals and some peoples advise make these little jobs seem like more than they should. My 1500 is now finished and ready for next season. Now on to the 1100. It is getting everythinbg on the front end rebuilt or replaced. Brakes, fork seals, tires, bearings, and bushings. It needs a little help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.