Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I shoud be picking my new to me 98 GW SE...sometime this week...first thing I have to do is shave the seat...any suggestions, and how much can I shave off?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

The seat cover is held on with staples so a flat screw driver will remove the staples, a ink marker , a utility knife, electric knife will cut the foam. I've cut & reshaped mine a few times & tried different types of foam to get where I am now, the good thing is that anything you remove will go back in the same place;);)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Push in with your finger to see the foam depth before each cut.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:thumbsup:Thanks a bunch will follow your lead...need to trim some so I can flat foot the bike...I've heard that trimming the width is a better start before cutting into the heigth? I think I will end up doing both.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Before you get into cutting the seat down, try wearing a pair of boots with a thick sole and a bit of a heel to see if that helps you out.

You don't want to trim much off of the width, as the back ofyour thighs will compress what foam is left fairly easily, bottomiing out on the seat 'pan'and that will become a 'hot'/tender spot on longer rides, making ithe seat uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

when I first got my 79 i looked for diffrent seats to lower my ride hieght. After a few diffrent seats and cut down foam I have gone back to the stock seat. Shure the ground is a little farther away but how often are you stopped compared to how long your in the saddle riding. I do not have long legs but the riding position on a wing can get pretty cramped fast.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Im a short legged feller myself..when my rear shocks are pumped up, I am on my tip toes...doesnt bother me a bit. I got a new seat for Christmas, and its even a little taller. It did bother me at first, but it takes no time at all to get used to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.