Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 95 1500 @ didn't like looking through the sheild so i cut it down now the buffeting is bad whats the best winsheild you can look over
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
423 Posts
imported post

I did the exact same thing to mine...being able to see over and not through is far better to me. You get used to the buffeting. Someone spoke of a windscreen trim that borders around the top, to help deflect air on a shorter shield. I think it was Rudy if im not mistaken..maybe he will chime in and inform us. You might try searching it in the forum search...there are a lot of discussions on this topic.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks i have read alot about the windbender might try it as manual first . $395 for the electric partis a big commitment for me
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Understood. I thought about it but funds for the trip this summer were getting depleted, so I went with the V Stream. Good but would have preferred the Windbender for lower and higher options.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

I went with a Cee Bailey's windscreen, when it came time to replace my OEM windscreen and am very happy with it.

Although I could see over my OEM screen, I ordered mine (with OEM type vent)2" shorter than stock height and with the light grey tint. Although 2"shorter, it is thicker (still retains adjustability) and also wider. (especially towards the top of the screen)

It reduced buffeting, yet offered better protection as the 'wind stream' is now projected just above my helmet (and out to the side more)and no matter how much I end up 'slouching' in the seat from a long day riding, I can still easily see over the screen.

I had seriously considered the WindBender, ...... but came to the conclusion that the two metal bars that holds the upper screen of the WB would bother my peripheral vision, much like the chrome trim I put on the CB to start with. (but removed very shortly after) :?







Here's what it looks like, compared to Winger77's Typhoon (Tulsa Tall Clone) which he had cut 5" off of it. You can clearlysee how the CB screen carries it's width all the way to the top of the screen, in this shot







You just missed a 20% off sale at Cee Bailey's, just before Christmas.



Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
imported post

I have to recommend Cee Baileys as being the best BANG for your buck that will not break your wallet. It is anawesome windshield and I cannot say enough good things about the shield or the company.

They sell them in a variety of different sizes ranging from -2 inches to +4 inches. I would suggest calling them and talking to someone, I think I heard once that they would cut it down further if you wanted them to.

Since I am only 5'8, I ordered mine in regular height and just leave it raised up one notch and am still able to see over the top edge. It isa vastimprovement over stock windshieldsand memphis shades that I had tried in that I can see through it without any problems at all. If I ever need a replacement or another shield I will definitely be ordering another Cee Baileys.

Here is a quick link to their GL1500 windshields.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/gl1500ws.html

On a side note, before ordering if you do.. Do a quick search for a discount code.. A member here gave me a discount code that saved 10%. The codes are not widely advertised, but they are out there.

Good luck in the decisions. :cheesygrin:



Addendum, Ken was chiming in at the same time I was typing out my choice and reply!! Also was the one who sent me the discount code.
:bow:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
517 Posts
imported post

The Cee Bailey's looks nice. Forgive me for thread high jacking and opening a can of worms, but is the vent worth it? My stock windshield had no vent and I'm afraid that
it would obstruct my vision or at least be a distraction more than its worth. I can't afford to try one for a few weeks and then buy another if I don't like the first one. I'd go with the 2" shorter than stock. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
imported post

ziadelsol wrote:
I have to recommend Cee Baileys as being the best BANG for your buck that will not break your wallet.
+1. There are better screens that cost a lot more, but the ceebaileys is better value the wider design gives more wind and buffeting protection than most. ceebaileys is a forum member here, if you send him a PM I reckon he will be able to advise you and maybe give you a good deal on the price.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:
The Cee Bailey's looks nice. Forgive me for thread high jacking and opening a can of worms, but is the vent worth it? My stock windshield had no vent and I'm afraid that
it would obstruct my vision or at least be a distraction more than its worth. I can't afford to try one for a few weeks and then buy another if I don't like the first one. I'd go with the 2" shorter than stock. Thanks




I don't find the OEM vent to be a visual distraction/impairment one bit, as it is somewhat transparent and sits quite low in the windshield itself. When set at it's lowest position, the bottom of the vent with the vent open fully, on the backside of the shield, is probably 3/4" above the top of the dash.

The vent itself, does direct fresh, cooling air towards your chest (and breaks the 'vacuum' behind the screen)when fully open, or you can direct it up towards your face, depending on how far open you have it adjusted


Here area couple of photos where Icropped and zoomedthe photo, to better demonstrate what I fail to describe verbally .....















Hope this helps, Dusty




PS ... if you are seriously thinking on buying a Cee Bailey's screen, PM me and I can give you a 'Coupon Code' for 10% off the price, when ordering 'on line'.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
351 Posts
imported post

FYI: The Windbender HP-S, which I've had for some years, does not eliminate buffeting completely, no matter how you adjust it. It was an improvement on the stock one, however, because 1) it allowed looking over the screen, and 2) it eliminated the air pushing on the back of my neck.

I can't comment on the other brands, but I surmise that because the windshield is so far in front of the rider, there will always be some buffeting.

The Tulsa type of windscreen probably isolates the most, but the styling is not for me.

Nicholas.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
313 Posts
imported post

I replaced the tall windshield on my 1500 with a stock size Cee Baileys w/vent. Nice windshield - very clear and sturdy - andthe vent has real benefits without being a distractionand is only alittle extra cost.

I never considered cutting down the tall windshield because it's so swept back that I figured it would put too much air right at my head if I could look over it.

Buffeting while riding on the Canadian Paririe is just a fact of life because of the almost constant wind that is seldom in line with the direction of travel. The tall windshield gives the best wind protection but I found myself riding in rain and night conditions that I felt were a bit more dangerous from having to look through the windshield rather than over it. And the bugs - I had to stop many time to clean the windshield (like driving a car without using the washer fluid and wipers) because my vision was too impaired. With the shorter shield, bugs are a distraction, not an impairment.

Regards,
 

·
Lost on this *****
Joined
·
4,317 Posts
imported post

As Dusty had stated,, I had the Typhoon Tall that I installed shortly after I got my 1500 (that was in 2006) and I have to consider myself LUCKY that I never had an accident when caught in fog or rain, or even night riding. So this past spring I cut that sucker down the 5 inches in order to see over it. On my tour with Dusty to NASSIR-4,, I was extremely glad I cut it down.

And now I have a CB shield waiting to be installed for this coming spring. I liked what Dusty has just by sitting on his bike and being able to compare with mine.

PS,,,,,,,, NO worries of the vent being in your line of vision no matter what brand/type of shield you have. You'll be glad to have it on those hot days,, I assure you :coollep:
 

·
New Guy
Joined
·
791 Posts
imported post

i put a cee bailey's on my 1500 last year and love it. however, the company didn't fully respond to my phone call, email or pm re the safety of their shield, nor did they ever provide me with the cloth cover for the shield as ordered.

as i said, i love the windshield.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

The Vent is not a distraction. It is a benefit when high enough. The vent on the Slipstreamer & on the Markland was too low to feel any breeze on my face as they are both sitting on top of the dash at the lowest point.
The Vstream I have on currently sits up higher than the dash by 5 1/2" and is not a distraction, and has lots of wind in my face when open.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
313 Posts
imported post

TwoBigCats wrote:
i put a cee bailey's on my 1500 last year and love it. however, the company didn't fully respond to my phone call, email or pm re the safety of their shield, nor did they ever provide me with the cloth cover for the shield as ordered.

as i said, i love the windshield.
I too liked the CB windshield. I had a little issue when the package arrived at the Post Office, somebody had added a zero to the valuation of the windshield so I was faced with paying taxes on an invoice of over $1000. I sent an e-mail to the company and I believe they responded by phone in less than an hour. After discussing solutions with them, I decided to pay the taxes and request a refund through Canada Customs. The process was actually fairly quick so I had my money back in less than two weeks. I could have sent the windshield back without openning it, but seeing they charged me less for shipping than the actual postage they paid to get it here,and I figured the whole situation was a result of an innocent errorso there was no need to put them through a bunch of extra expense.

Anyway, I was happy with the windshield and the company's response when I had an issue.
 

·
New Guy
Joined
·
791 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
TwoBigCats wrote:
i put a cee bailey's on my 1500 last year and love it. however, the company didn't fully respond to my phone call, email or pm re the safety of their shield, nor did they ever provide me with the cloth cover for the shield as ordered.

as i said, i love the windshield.
I too liked the CB windshield. I had a little issue when the package arrived at the Post Office, somebody had added a zero to the valuation of the windshield so I was faced with paying taxes on an invoice of over $1000. I sent an e-mail to the company and I believe they responded by phone in less than an hour. After discussing solutions with them, I decided to pay the taxes and request a refund through Canada Customs. The process was actually fairly quick so I had my money back in less than two weeks. I could have sent the windshield back without openning it, but seeing they charged me less for shipping than the actual postage they paid to get it here,and I figured the whole situation was a result of an innocent errorso there was no need to put them through a bunch of extra expense.

Anyway, I was happy with the windshield and the company's response when I had an issue.
great to hear and, iirc, dusty reported the same level of customer service / response from them in one of his posts, too - a perfect example of YMMV :)
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

TwoBigCats wrote:
great to hear and, iirc, dusty reported the same level of customer service / response from them in one of his posts, too - a perfect example of YMMV :)



That's right. I had ordered the fleece windshield cover with my name embroidered on it. When both the windshield and the cover came, the cover was nowhere near the size it needed to be to fit it.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1209348


After a quick call to their 1-800 number and a review of my order, they apologized, told me they would make a new one the next day,that would be of proper size and ship it out to me. Less than 2 weeks later, a new one showed up at my door, no charge -

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1218400
 

·
New Guy
Joined
·
791 Posts
imported post

i *thought* i remembered that you'd had a hiccup that they quickly corrected, ken; bummer about my results with them ... darned if i can figure out why but since they've made the sale and i've got other fish to fry it's (past) time to move on :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

just wondering how tall you are i'm about 5ft 8" how many inches tall is the sheild from the rubber
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top