Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Year of the 1500

3K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  holly609 
#1 ·
imported post

I've decided that I will end up getting a 1500 and then keep it until I can't ride anymore or until Honda makes one better. What was the best year and model of the 1500 and why? I like to work on my bike so that is to be considered. I also like the intercom and electrical gadgets. I have heard that 95 or so was a good time for Honda and that quality has suffered since then. Is this true? thanks for your input.

#2 ·
imported post

i had a 93 aspencade with a CB and a spoiler, it was a great bike and i put 126,000 smiles on it

about the only complaint i had was the front shocks were not good enough, about 1995 they started using better shocks so i would try getting a 95 or newer model, u will most likely hear that 1500's had alternator problems but i never had any, about the only thing that i remember going bad on mine was the water pump and that cost me about $100 to replace

#3 ·
imported post

holly609 wrote:
I have heard that 95 or so was a good time for Honda and that quality has suffered since then. Is this true? thanks for your input.
I would like to know what your source was basing that on? This is the first I've heard that and I believe it is not based on fact.

The 2000 was the last of the 1500 line and in my opinion the best. The 2000's had all the improvements made during the 1500 production. The SE's havenice extras too. That said, the whole 1500 line was great and I don't think you would be disappointed with any year. Only model I'd personally stay away from is the Interstates, which were only made between '91 and '95 I believe, because they don't have reverse, cruise control or the compressor.

If you haven't read the forum's GoldWing history page, I recommend it. It will give you some info on what changed in the different years and models.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

John

#5 ·
imported post

I'd just like to have one that had two wheels on it. :cheeky1:

My gl1500 was a '94 and it was a good one. I did replace the stock fork springs with Progressive brand springs which I liked a lot better. Firmer and don't need as much air, if any at all. but I weighed 265# back then.

I road a 2000 year model and I could tell that it was a tad smoother in the transmission and handling. But, it only had a few thousand miles on it, and mine had 70k or so.

I don't think you should worry about the year model. Just is it clean enough, maintenance been done right, and priced right for you?

#6 ·
imported post

holly609 wrote:
I've decided that I will end up getting a 1500 and then keep it until I can't ride anymore or until Honda makes one better.
They already did!!!:shock::cooldevil::cooldevil:;)
What was the best year and model of the 1500 and why? I like to work on my bike so that is to be considered. I also like the intercom and electrical gadgets. I have heard that 95 or so was a good time for Honda and that quality has suffered since then. Is this true? thanks for your input.
Had a 97 and no problems and it is the earlier ones that had the majority of issues and recalls etc. not the later ones, as far as I am aware, but even then if all the recalls have been done there should be no specific issues, just ongoing maintenance

#7 ·
imported post

Hiholly609

Your best bet is to go for a SE model generally betterspec and maybe an anniversery edition as they are a little bit rarer , with some extra badges and decals.As far as working on them I.m pretty sure they all come apart the same way although I have been led to believe that the mid 90s on would be a better bike ( read up on your goldwing history) I expect your own mechanical ability will dictate how much work you do on the bike yourself.

Happy hunting !!

Just my two cents

Eric

#8 ·
imported post

The 94's and up sit a little lower (about an inch due to lower seat and narrower side panels).
The 88's and 89's are fully featured like the later SE and Aspencades.
97's and up had some issues with not so good alternators but slightly beefed up shifter forks (I've had no problems with my shifter forks on my 89).
98's and up had the newer engine guard (which I prefer).

Basically they are all good but if you are a bit long in the legs, stay pre-95 and change to the 98 engine guards, otherwise if you are short and/or have more money to spend, then go with the 97's and up and watch the alternator.

In all cases I like having a better, higher output alternator so I prefer to get it over with and go with a CompuFire alternator and battery. I have other things to worry about on the road...

Any of the 1500's are still the best for touring and roomiest GL's Honda ever made.
Easily the best bang for your buck in Goldwings.

#10 ·
imported post

I think the reality is that there is no 'best year' for the GL1500.

All models from 1995 ride a bit lower and that might be important to some riders. The later ones from 1998 had the facelift and definitely look better, but quality of some parts suffered. Engine guards rust quicker (not so much of a problem if you live in the sun) and alternators made in China are definitely lower quality, I know of several that died on brand new GL1500's. Fitting an alternator from a pre-98 is definitely a better option if yours dies, better still a Compufire.
Of course the earlier models have some minor issues as well. Some of the 1996-97 models see the LCD clock lose it's memory, 4th gear can go bad on 93-94 models and carbs issues on 88-89's if the owner didn't get it fixed under the Honda service bulletin warranty.

I'd say just buy the best example you can afford and don't let the model year be the deciding factor. All the GL1500's are very reliable and lovely to ride.

#11 ·
imported post

Rumors get started easy huh?

Actually get as new and as much bike as you can afford. The very newest and nicest one you can get, in your financial range.

Every year they make small changes to the bikes, things that you are not even aware of that make it run better, perform better or not be so prone to failure. They make advancements all the time.

I had the opportunity to ride a new 2009 1800 last night. It already has 16,000 miles on it and we put a new tire on the rear .

Neat bike, seems more solid in the front suspension to me. And the Navi does all kinds of neat things. Has a tire pressure sensor and all that kind of thing, just another safety thing that can help.

So yep they improve them little by little every year. And in 2009 they are available in Banana color. :)

Kit

#12 ·
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
oh-- where is noath jawga ? ? ? ?
Just south of sowth kacalackie.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

#13 ·
imported post

You can't go wrong with a Goldwing. I love my '99 Aspencade. I really like the SE model, but prefer the solid color of the Aspencade over the two tone SE. That's just my preference. Doesn't make it better or worse. There are times I would like to have the CB, but Honda really likes them! Way too expensive. Like has been said, buy the best you can buy within your budget (I like the cash route) and ride! You will find all the help you need right here on this forum if something should go bonkers with it.

#15 ·
imported post

So there you have it. You did not get a definitive answer--because there is NO such thing. But you did get some pretty good advice.

Be as selective as you can and get what you can afford.

#16 ·
imported post

I have a '99 GL1500SE 50th Anniversary Edition with 104,000 miles on it. Just did the timing belt change and as far as I know, it still has the stock alternator and it is still going strong. I am the second owner and the bike has always been well maintained, and I am expecting to get another 100,000 miles or more out of it. In myopinion you can't go wrong with a 1500, no matter what year or model, as long as they have been taken care of.

Cobra

:15grey:

#21 ·
#23 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Bit of a dreamer with that starting price.
Plus it must have a faulty gearbox... owner states 3 gears + overdrive + reverse!!!!:shock::cheeky1:

#24 ·
imported post

norton wrote:
OK, I'm admittedly bias but I'm gonna sayit isthe 2003 F6. OH YEAH!!!!

Mmmmmmmmm........Valkyrie......grgrgrgrgrgrhhh:dance::dance::clapper:

#25 ·
imported post

I noticed the comment about the gears as well but just thought that he made a mistake when typing the information.

Cobra

:15grey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.