Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a short ride last weekend to Idaho for lottery tickets and beer. One way was 75 miles. Only took 1.5 gallons to top off which means I was getting 50mpg. Is that right? That was 2 up by the way and 2 up and loaded with beer on the way back. (The bike not me!) That is much better than I thought I could ever get especially when I figure in city riding is in the low 40s. I still find this hard to believe but that's what the numbers come out to be.
I'm believing my carburetors are adjusted correctly as yesterday, I started her up without choke and it idled at about 560 rpm-did not touch the throttle to start it. I rolled the throttle a little and it immediately jumped up to 1200 rpm, no hesitation, no stumble, just ready to rock.
I think I'll go on another ride...:)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
50MPG is pretty incredible for a GL-1200.

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but, it's incredible enough that I'm suspecting a problem or mis-adjustment.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
First, you have to do real mileage tests. Just doing any kind of figures on a 75 mile run leaves way too much room for errors.
Then there's the 40+ mpg in the city...? That betters my figures by 10 mpg, so maybe there's an error there too.
I do ride, "quickly", shall we say, and I would never lug the motor by tootin' down the freeway @ 55 mph in OD. But I think, if correctly monitored and figured, my numbers are the norm for a GL12.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
52 and 49.6

member here and i went on a gw club ride last summer in nh and me and got 52(he) and 49.6 riding single but that was backroads etc and that was riding out the whole tank and fuel light just started to flicker about 220 miles,actually was surprised at that since i normally get 42-44 or so,next day in the mountains he got 47 and i got 48 max 55 mph but that was with minimal baggage and single up
my aspy has 117k and has had no work other than sync and iridium plugs
his had had a recent overall at VencoWings

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I can average 46.5 on my LTD on the highway doing mostly 65 to 70 ish.

2 up, on the BRP doing 45 to 50, i have gotten 55 mpg...... once

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
The GW speedometer accuracy vary widely and as such so do the odometers.

Until odometers are verified by a measured mile I would expect some discrepancy at the extremes.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
With my 1500 I could get anywhere from the high 30s to just over 45 mpg if I took it easy on the throttle and stayed under 60. two things I don't usually do. I did get in the 20s once, but that was going 75 - 80 two up pulling a trailer. 1st tank on the 1800 I got 37 mpg and haven't made it through the second tank yet.

In MN there is 10% ethanol in the gas. I'm sure this affects mpg. Do other states have the same % of ethanol? If you look hard you can find some stations with ethanol free gas but it is only premium and expensive.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This post was concerning this one run at this time. The distance was not as logged on the odometer but by google maps using the route I took. The amount of gas was what it took to put it back at the top of the filler neck, which is where it started from. I run non ethanol gas as it is closeby my house and in Franklin, ID, the premium is all ethanol free as well. Did not travel by freeway, but by state roads. Speed limits varied and some in city travel in small amounts as that is the route I take. Granted, it isn't going to be what I use for average gas mileage but it is what I got on this one trip under the circumstances. I have yet to run through a full tank down to empty just to get a measurement, I don't like to run it that close to dry. My driving varies so much that it would take several tanks and conditions to monitor this so I don't bother. I'm just sayin I got a good run on it at a good mileage, but understand it isn't representative of the bike as a whole.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
IF I can play bike in traffic and stay with the crowd going 65mph my 86 1200 will do 45-46 fairly easily.
Tank in, tank out, I'm 40-42 and terribly pleased with those numbers.
My Vetter KZ1100 (similar large touring bike) got 48-50 month in month out, and while much more nimble all around didn't have that highway my arse is planted feeling. I'm keeping the wing.

In ohio, my best fuel has been BP regular or medium grade. best idling of the various crap gas we have here.
I'm sure running at 50MPH on a two laner short trip 50 is doable. After all.....if I'm getting 42mpg AVERAGE, there were a ton of miles over 50 mixed with 20's!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.