Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Prior to heading out for Nassir 4 from Ontario, Dusty Boots and I changed out the tires on our 1500. We put a new Michelin Pilot on the rear.

In Idaho they were resurfacing the road by Tar and Chip..We had to follow a Pilot vehicle through the construction..Fresh tar and chipping was taking place and the crazy morons had us driving over this. Stones were flying everywhere at a speed of less than 5 mph.

2 days later I was checking the bike on a morning inspection and found a deep groove in the Michelin tire..This caused great inconvenience as the Bike had to be towed to Port Orchard once we met up with the Rhino Gang in Battle Ground. Bobalou was kind enough to tow us up there.

The rear tire was removed at jluvs2dive's place and an examination took place. Seems the tar and stone clumped together and dug into the tire causing the deep groove. The clearance between the swing arm is less on a Michelin Pilot than what it is on a E3. This may have helped contribute to the damage..

Just be careful if driving under these construction conditions.

Attachments

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Here is a pic with the tire off the Bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

Feel your pain.
I work for a county that we do a lot of chip/seal. Sorry I drive the equipment that lays the stone.
For us rule NUMBER #1 no one is allowed on fresh chip/seal until it been rolled period.
Stone needs to be set, and liquid asphalt needs to cool.
To loose for cars let alone someone on 2 wheels.
Not to say people don't drive around us because were in their way.
But with a pilot car/truck they should know better. Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I wondered how the stone got lodged there, now it makes sense.

Tough one Bob, glad you two enjoyed yourselves, I was reading the posts, would rather have been there but.....

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Does the state of Idaho have a billing address?
I too would look into filing a claim with them about this. Unless they had some kind of warning posted about driving on freash tar, it sounds like they just allowed you to follow behind with out the proper prep of the road surface. I would contact the Idaho Tranportation Department and file a claim. All they can say is no....

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
ob1quixote wrote:
Does the state of Idaho have a billing address?
I too would look into filing a claim with them about this. Unless they had some kind of warning posted about driving on freash tar, it sounds like they just allowed you to follow behind with out the proper prep of the road surface. I would contact the Idaho Tranportation Department and file a claim. All they can say is no....
Thanks for the form and contact info.

I thought about a lawsuit against them, but when you live in another Country and are far away..doesn't make a lot of sense and could end up costing us more in legal fee's and travel than what it is worth...I just am thankful we got out of it with all our skin intact..and we are able to forewarn others about this.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

It's not a lawsuit, it's a claim for damages backed up with a invoice showing repair/replacement costs. Altogether different than a law suit and worth the time to file, IMO.
I spent a lot of years at a state DOT, and they may be slow, but if you have documentary evidence, they will make a payment. It just takes time and make sure to follow the steps.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

I got into oil and chips in Missouri several years ago and literally had oil dripping from my fender wells. Vehicle was covered with tar. Contacted state DOT and they reimbursed tar removal fee. Just sayin it might be worth your time to file claim.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

Bob, I would have been want to go around their chip and seal, ride on the shoulder of the road.

To avoid the section altogether would have been a lot of miles IIRC.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

florida will reimburse you for damage caused by road defect. Just show pictures and really good documentation. If your legit they dont quibble.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Retired Guy wrote:
It's not a lawsuit, it's a claim for damages backed up with a invoice showing repair/replacement costs. Altogether different than a law suit and worth the time to file, IMO.
I spent a lot of years at a state DOT, and they may be slow, but if you have documentary evidence, they will make a payment. It just takes time and make sure to follow the steps.
Agreed. I worked for the county. Believe it or not, most county employees are human. :smiler:

At the very least, contact them and tell them what happened. Nine times out of ten they will offer to pay the damages.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Back when Park Vista Motel was open near the 268 mm on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we used to take groups of riders with us down for a few days of good fun, relaxation, fresh air, cool evenings. Back near the turn of the Century, there was this one time we had planned such a trip but I got called out for a fatality reconstruction the night before we left. The rest of the group went on as planned, traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway from Waynesboro. Later that day as soon as I could, Wife Unit and I headed south using I-81 / Rt 21 south / Rt 221 south to Idlewild Rd near Deep Gap, then to Park Vista Rd.

Rt 221 in NC up north of the Rt 16 split in Ashe County is very twisty, and on this hot summer day they were repaving the road. I'm behind a water truck when we stop and wait for the pilot truck, the paving is on Rt 221 sb, our side. Pilot truck arrives, pulls off, it's NB traffic passes, it get's in front, we go over onto new NB pavement and pass a pair of baby blue and white Vanoy dump tlrtrucks (which fell in behind the car behind me) and a paver, thenthis pilot truck pulls us back to right into oil which means a 2-3 " drop .... so a second pilot truck leading two more baby blue and white Vanoy dumps NB, then we have to go back up onto the NB lane to pass more stationary trucks before we get to the end and get out of that hell hole. I got the oil and loosegravels on my tires and then had to reclimb the hump to the new pavement!

I was on my CB radio using colorful language to let anyone with Vanoy Constr Co know just how pi55 poor ofan operation they had when they run two pilot trucks like that.They had been on 19, they got quiet though. I later wrote letters to several offices in NC Government,spread word of my experience with friends in NC, and then found that a favorite resturant in West Jefferson was owned by them so I stopped taking my groups there as well.

What a jack leg operation.

We had left probably 6 hours after the rest of the group and only was a couple hours late getting there, after that encounter with Vanoy I was happy to get there. I was lucky we didn't go down.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Bob, I would have been want to go around their chip and seal, ride on the shoulder of the road.

To avoid the section altogether would have been a lot of miles IIRC.
I didn't know what the construction was..It was out of sight..I should have asked I guess..I was directly behind the pilot and a line of traffic behind me...No shoulders or way to get out of it once we were into it all.

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

Ouch!

Trapped is the only thing that comes to mind here.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

None to good for cars either. I have had 2 windshields broken by vehicles ahead of me throwing rocks at me. USUALLY here in AZ, if it is a 2 lane road, they will do one lane, let it sit until it is safe to drive on, then do the other lane. I recently ran into a mess on I-5 in northern CA on my way to Portland where rocks were flying everywhere. I was sure I had windshield damage, but after cleaning off all the bugs, couldn't find any. On newer cars, and most bikes, headlights are another big thing. The headlight assembly on a newer car can cost $500, and is probably the same on a Goldwing. My old cars have sealed beams at $5 apiece.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Man, what a waste of the last Michelin Pilot-GT on earth.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Man, what a waste of the last Michelin Pilot-GT on earth.
No Kidding...And it rode so nice too Rudy..Dynabeads and all.:action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Bet your mileage sucked on that leg of it.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Thanks for posting this up, Hawggy. I saw your tire in the flesh (rubber?), and it was scary..... You may have saved someone a possible accident. Good on ya.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.