Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen differing responses over quite a few years on this forum regarding this subject.
I need new tires for my 88' GL1500. There's a decent price on Wingstuff.com for Dunlop Elite 4's combo,
but there is the option for bias or radial versions.
I'm a casual weekend rider in North Texas looking for long mileage first, handling/wet weather etc second.
(Not interested in going darkside BTW)

What's the latest info regarding bias vs. radial for my ole' Bessie?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I put a Dunlop Radial on the front of my 1500 and Avon bias ply on the rear,best handling I’ve ever had,the front Radial seems to ride smoother and some say they wallow in parking lots and slow traffic but I don’t notice any difference,the rear Avon is fantastic and seems to be wearing well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the history of responses I've researched and now, It doesn't seem to matter much between bias and radial.
What about the mileage difference on a Gl1500 between most brands on bias vs radial?
Just trying to get a 2019 perspective...

·
Administrator
57,492 Posts
The bike was designed for bias-ply tires.

Dennis,
I do NOT believe that for 1 second....
There is nothing in the suspension that requires that Bias tire be used, period.

when the bike came out, there weren't any radials ties available to be used on it.

as the two axles are not in line, you can use a Bias ply in front, and a Radial in the rear and you can't tell the difference....

FWIW,
I am taking the Michelin RF off of my bike, and installing a new E4 on it...

why? I am not riding enough anymore to be completely skilled with the handling of my bike, and the E4 will present me with less "bad manners" than a car tire.....

the Michelin RF tends to make the bike want to climb up on jagged road surfaces... and it is harder for me to make short, tight turns..... I have to "push the handlebars" to keep it in a turn at very slow speeds.

Andy is getting my Michelin, I gave the other one to DaveO430... it was a brand new spare, and I realized that I was never going to need it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
...looking for long mileage first, handling/wet weather etc second.
(Not interested in going darkside BTW)...

Perhaps your lack of interest in going Darkside is due to lack of information...

The Longest-Mileage Tire you can get for the rear is the Austone Taxi... which will take you nearly 40k miles; not great wet weather traction though.

The Best Wet Weather handling tire you can get for the rear is the Dunlop Wintersport ROF.

And the BT-45 for the front get's you ~20k miles, and does well in the rain too.

Just Saying:smile2:

·
Administrator
21,865 Posts
You can do anything you want, it is your bike. I'm just repeating what the people who make tires and motorcycles say. They're the ones who actually do research on these issues.

These were excellent tires and were what Honda put on the bike.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dunlop+k177[/ame]

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I tried riding a friends 2004 1800/w car tire on rear. Scarriest ride I have ever had on a bike. Just about didn`t make a left hand turn because bike didn`t go where I wanted. Then going straight I couldn`t lean to control handling, Had to force any road corrections to keep bike on road. Sorry....not for me either.
gumbyred

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran the Dunlop E3 bias tires on my '99 and keep an eye on the air pressure. I averaged 20765 miles between sets. Last year I installed a set of Dunlop K4 bias on the bike. I am up to 8300 miles on them and they still look new. They are very comfortable and smooth running around the L.A. area. You know they are running a dual compound rubber on these. A harder compound for straight up riding with extended mileage and a little softer on the sides for good traction in the turns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts