Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read on here of a few folks that wear bicycle shorts for long trips. I did some shopping around the web and found some fair prices. I was just wondering what anyone elses thoughts were on the subject. Like how much difference in comfort.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I bought and used athletic compression shorts from the sports dept at Walmart and they work great!! Less than 12 bucks a pair. Wore them for the trip to Calhoun and nothing went numb on me the whole trip.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I wear 'em, Winger..... but I also ride bicycles, so I already have them..... don't know I'd buy them otherwise. Expensive they be!

But they work well, and you can go with two pair...... wear one into the shower at night, put on the other pair when done..... the wet pair are usually dry by morning.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I didn't think these Mens 6-Panel Lycra Shortwere too expensive if they do make a person more comfortable, along with the conveniance. There are others going for $25 & up.

Well, it's the last day of deer season here ( till Flintlock season ) so I better take the gun for a walk. And maybe even run across Bucky. It's a moon=lit 14 degrees this morn.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
I didn't think these Mens 6-Panel Lycra Shortwere too expensive if they do make a person more comfortable, along with the conveniance. There are others going for $25 & up.

Well, it's the last day of deer season here ( till Flintlock season ) so I better take the gun for a walk. And maybe even run across Bucky. It's a moon=lit 14 degrees this morn.
Atta boy..... look for one with a Candy Apple paint smear across it's side! Pennsylvania is a long way from Michigan, but you never know....! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I give the bike shorts a big thumbs up. We got mine at wally world and they definitely help on long rides.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Ok, never wore the things.

What is it that they help with?

My first opinion is I would not like them as I don't like anything that fits tight.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

My first opinion is I would not like them as I don't like anything that fits tight.
Ever had your undewear bunch up on hot, humid days? And wear raw spots on your tender private places? Cycling shorts are designed to prevent that, and do.... Yes, they are tight, but with a stress-relieving pad in the strategic area. In the old days, back when my body was thinner and my face smoother, :cheeky1:, the pad area was of chamoix leather..... we would grease up the chamoix with lanolin, petroleum jelly, whatever, before a long training ride or race (and I'm talking about 50 to 150 miles... on a bicycle!)-- yes, a well-greased chamonix was pure bliss! But thesoft leatherwould take forever to dry after washing, so they went to synthetic .... and it works, but not as well as greased leather!

Try a pair, AZ, you might like them.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Acadamy Sports Stores have BCG (underwear), or something like that, for $15 a pair. They keep the "Monkey Butt" away!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

Ever had your private parts go numb on a long ride? Doesn't happen with the compression shorts or bicycle shorts. Thing is, finding a pair for us big boys!!!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Well, I don't know about the actual physiology involved, but I know that they work.. I went and bought myself apair of cheap " Under Armor" from Wal-Mart...something like less than $25 for the tops and bottoms...What I've noticed is that my stock 84 Goldwing seat is much, much more comfortable on long rides..At first I thought I was a little crazy, but the common denominator was the "tight pants" or "girdle" as I like to refer to them.. I took a 265 mile jaunt today in 45 degree weather....and I didn't get cold..nothing went numb...and I never got sore...Maybe I'm a little crazy...no, maybe a lot crazy, but they seem to work....And what's the worst thing that can happen?? You'll look so sexy in your "tighties" that your better half will not be able to keep her hands off of you!!

Best regards,

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

ps- I'd LOVE to hear from some Steve Saunders Goldwing forum member in South Georgia....God's undiscovered paradise!!! Perfect weather...good roads..and pretty women ( the Scotch/Irish/Indian mix is AMAZING!!!)....

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

With me it seems that as the hours and miles start getting many, as I move around trying to get comfortable on the seat, things just don't seem to move around with me in my jeans. The tight fitting bike shorts help with that and also seem to slip and slide inside the jeans.

I would have not believed it until I tried it myself.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Yes I wear them all the time, they make it more comfortable after about the three hour mark.

Good luck Tom

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

my anatomy doesn;t go numb. just my cheeks.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Found some undies at Wally-World that work just as well as bicycle shorts (well. for me) at about $6USD a pop. They are Life by Jockey - I got the boxer-briefs in the satin. This allows my butt slide around inside the jeans, and they are built with a pouch to hold the important stuff up, sort of like a jock strap. Both are factors in keeping stuff from going numb.

Motosickle - as far as the cheeks going numb, when we had the stock seat I would lift up on the pegs for a minute or 3 every half hour. Don't have to comeoff the seat, just relieve some preassure and get blood flowing again. I did it beforeI felt it as a preventative measure. On the way to Minnesota this past Sept. I was off the seat a lot. During our trip to the Davis Rally our custom fitted Diamond arrived at Mom's house, and it was amazing how much more comfortable and how much longer I could go without having to shift around. Custom fitted seats are spendy, but by the end of the trip even the frugal wife said it was the best thing we got for the bike since the bunkhouse camper.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I found the spandex starts to pay off around 400 miles with a sheepskin. Used the combo on my first Iron Butt. Now, the sheepskin works for 600 miles....good enough., for me, anyway.:)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well I have tried just about everything known to mankind. I have tried those spandex shorts you all talk about, just about every kind of seat pad known to exist. Some things we always resist trying because at the time it seems a bit expensive.

As for myself there is only one thing that actually works, and that is the airhawk seat cushion. It is unique in the fact you can change the amount of air in it, during the course of the day even if you wish for totally new feel. In many years of trying this or that, it is the only thing that impresses me.

Wanna get a hint of how it works? Before you plunk down the price for it? Go find some bubble wrap and put a double layer of that on your seat, go for a ride. That will give you a hint what an air cushion can and does do. In fact bubble wrap has saved the day for me before, holds my tailbone up off the seat.

Kit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.