Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After a bit of a hassle I got the bar mounted but after looking at the wiring schematic I'm confused. It shows a wire for each of the lights coming from the relay but there are two wires on each light. I thought one side of each light should be grounded because where they bolt up is insulated. They provide all the wires shown in the schematic.
Has anyone here ever used this type of light bar. I think I'll call them Monday and see what they have to say. :wtf:

They give you two spacers to use with the GL-1500 to go between the two ears on the lights but they are twice as wide as they need to be. Needless to say I would never recommend this item.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They may have dedicated ground wire. What color wires are they?
Are they LED lights? If so they will have a ground wire.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

They are Halogen. The wiring diagram shows only only 1 wire to each light from the relay but the lights have 2 wires coming out. I tried hooking a battery to each light with a + and a - 12 volts but to no avail. I can't believe the way they drew up the wiring diagram. What I need to know is what goes to the second wire on each light? I am learned in electronics and I can understand schematics but something is missing on their diagram.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Looking at the mounting, it looks like it is attached to the fairing stay which is mounted to the frame and in theory should already be grounded. My guess is that those lights are gounded to the bar so only a positive wire is needed? And yes those directions do leave a lot to be desired. The install directions are on the right side of THIS PAGE.

And I definitely would not connect the lights to the accessory terminal. Either install it to the battery or add an aftermarket fuse block so you could set up your own aux wiring circuits.

And I missed the part about 2 wires coming out of the lights. I'm guessing that if it is the the ground wire itcould be connected to the base of the lights where they mount to the bar. But try connecting 12v to the + wire and then to the mounting bolt on the lights. See if they light up then.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Got er done.
I decided to hook it up per the wiring diagram so I temporarily wired it up. No lights until I grounded the second wire from the light. I figured it had yo be grounded. I let Big Bike Parts know what I thought about their installation instructions.
Thanks for the help guys. This forum is the best:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I bought the light mounting bar, but not those particular driving lamps, although the ones I bought from a local auto parts store are pretty well identical as their lights.

There was a large brass ring terminal on the grounding wire of the lights and I just slipped that over the mounting bolt of the driving light, between the bar and the light's mounting bracket. Then ran the hot wire back along the backside of the bar to a single wire that ended with adoublebullet connector, which then ran back to my LEDswitch, in my dash

All pretty easy. :baffling:

I wouldn't be without them ! :cooler:

Dusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.