Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my wife got a car camera for me ( attached to windshield) I didn't get to to play with it till now.
It has crossed my mind what a crime fighting tool this could be.
Lets say each car has 4 cameras installed so it can monitor 360 degrees around for 12 or so hours regardless if the car is turned on or not.

All the recorded data stays within the car. Nobody can access it without your permission

There would be an app on your cell that links the camera to the smart phone. You could make the camera a license plate reader. All the MAJOR criminals wanted on BOLA will be sent to your app.
Your cell will beep when someone that committed a MAJOR crime is spotted around and your app will tell you a summary of what this guy is wanted for.
Press a button and the cops will be notified of your position and alerted of whom you did encounter.

Picture an abduction in a parking lot, or a random shooting in the street.
Mostly everything will be recorded on a car's video and the cops can track the criminal from place to place even if he only passed parked cars.

Remember when they introduced EZ Pass, Or Sun Pass or whatever its called in your state? People were complaining that your whereabouts could be traced . Then they introduced cameras in public places and there were complainers.
Nowadays there are lots of lots of cameras, even on the highways, and people dont complain any longer.
I think my idea would benefit the society

Tell me why not.

·
Administrator
57,676 Posts
what you are thinking is comparable to what is in London, England right now.
they have cameras on every street corner and can follow cars thru the city.

I presume that they have facial recognition working for them also, dunno on that.

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
I saw a report on something like this the police are using in some cities. It read license plates all around the patrol car, even in parking lots it passes.

·
Administrator
57,676 Posts
Oklahoma has a few of those in selected LEO vehicles...
The last I heard, there are 4 of them in Tulsa

Owasso has 1 if I remember right.

I was in Claremore today looking for 5mm machine screws..... hard to find in long lengths, have to order them off the 'net.

a new CPD SUV with pretty blinking lights pulled a guy into the QT gas station where I was..... I stayed out of the action... dunno what the situation was.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny you should mention Big Brother.
My grandson and I were discussing politics the other day, and how everything is screwed up....it's all conspiracies and propaganda.... How the government has it's hands in everything... knows everything about everyone... no privacy.
I mentioned the book 1984 and got a blank look from him. So I explained what it was about. He said it sounded "messed up". I went down to the library and borrowed a copy of the original movie. ( I knew the book would never get read).

After he watched the movie, he commented how much it was like today. The lack of privacy. All the treachery and conspiracy. He even referenced "hate week" being like the liberal news.
Phrases like " he who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the future controls the past"..."Freedom is slavery" ... "ignorance is power".

Technology is nice but when it removes privacy, it's use has been taken to far. Not that I have anything to hide, but we are fast approaching the time when the "thought police" are real.
Just the other day some senator accused President Trump of "thought crimes"

"The peoples Class, The party Class, and The ruling class are here.
The ruling class uses the party class to insure that the peoples class will never seize power.
LONG LIVE BIG BROTHER!

Just be careful what you wish for.

BTW, did anyone see the article about the "Ring" doorbell cams( Amazon) has granted backdoor access to law enforcement agencies to video from "your" camera.
Did you know that Amazon's offices are in Santa Monica, CA and Kiev, Ukraine ?
Seems strange, all the brew-ha-ha about Ukraine, corruption, and now they control access to "your" security camera.

Well, I better end this paranoid rant before the thought police kick my door in and take me to "the ministry of love" to mke me well again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you use any modern smart phone everything you do on it and everywhere you go is known unless you're running a blocking app. I laugh along with my wife when we get our monthly Google timeline email and it tells us every place we've been too and the routes we took and how long we were there.... I have issues with it and then I don't, it can be used for good or bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
If you use any modern smart phone everything you do on it and everywhere you go is known unless you're running a blocking app. I laugh along with my wife when we get our monthly Google timeline email and it tells us every place we've been too and the routes we took and how long we were there.... I have issues with it and then I don't, it can be used for good or bad.

I keep my mobile data and location turned off most of the time. I figure if the phone doesn't know where I'm at it can't tell anyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I keep my mobile data and location turned off most of the time. I figure if the phone doesn't know where I'm at it can't tell anyone.
Yep, understand that. The wife's ex gave her too many reasons not to trust men, this is one way for me to show her I am not like her ex. This has been one way for me to earn her trust. I have nothing to hide. But.... if SHTF both of our phones will go dark.

·
Administrator
57,676 Posts
I leave Location ON, because I use it so much.
But, DATA is turned OFF all the time, unless I specifically need it "right now".

I wait until I get to a WiFi point to access the Internet. Our data plan is 2gB/month simply because we are home most of the time, and have Unlimited Data there.

I have CoPilot USA fully loaded, for GPS navigation, it does not use, or need the Internet. Plus it has the best "What's around here" features on the planet.
Even Google is not nearly so good.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I qualify as well traveled person. Cuba should be in there but the phone was off, When we were in Nova Scotia the rain gear pocket got full of water so my phone was gone as soon as we got of the ferry

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
I use a Casio Ravine flip phone, no internet, I guess you could say it's tough but dumb.
I have considered going back to a flip phone. The only things I like about the smart phone is it has a good camera and the screen is large enough I can read text messages.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish the camera was way faster to engage with a physical button on top of it. The way it is, makes it nearly impossible to take a pic while riding alone.
There are many useful apps such as radar, weather,GPS, banking, hotel finder etc. The expression"there is an app for that" is mostly true. There is no going back

·
Administrator
57,676 Posts
The camera app I am using gives an option to hit the Power Button twice and it comes right up. That at least make it a bit easier to get the camera going.

but, to hold it one handed and take pictures? Unless you are shooting video, nope, not going to work.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The camera app I am using gives an option to hit the Power Button twice and it comes right up.
My phone is set that way but it takes too long time for the camera to be ready then you have to press on the screen with your thumb while holding the camera, at the risk of dropping it

Some might say "operating a camera while riding seems dangerous".
I dont find it dangerous taking pics with my lanyard camera around the neck in no traffic.
If something requires my immediate attention I just drop it.

·
Administrator
21,901 Posts
My phone is set that way but it takes too long time for the camera to be ready then you have to press on the screen with your thumb while holding the camera, at the risk of dropping it

I dont find it dangerous taking pics with my lanyard camera around the neck in no traffic.
If something requires my immediate attention I just drop it.

???
Make up your mind. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I do not use my flip phone for pics while riding, though I do often while driving. To take a pic requires a thumb press to open camera, a wait, then a thumb press to shoot, then a thumb press to save after it offers the option. I can do that all without looking at it, but not with gloves on. No lanyard or strap on the phone, so I have no "drop option" unless I'm in a 4 wheeler.

If I'm riding and want to have ability to shoot a photo, it's likely a Nikon hanging on by my wide neck strap (or a chest harness deal), or a cheap digital or GoPro mounted with a base mount 1/4-20 screw to a mount that fit's my cup holder receptical. I like the option of a Nikon (have 3) as I can turn one of them on, leave it on, set a program mode, auto focus, leave it, and one button shoots & auto saves it ... and I can crop, etc, later. I can let the camera fall back onto my chest, and I only use a shorter lense (35-70 for example, in the shorter 35 or 50 "ish" position) in this mode. With a trike, I can pull over (to stop) almost anywhere (out of any traffic lanes or roadways) with no risk of dropping the bike due to uneven ground (ie: scenic overlooks, historical markers, vistas, & etc), just pull over, stop, shoot …. or even grab a "from the hip" (just point & shoot) shot while moving.

When I was on a bike, the need to balance the bike limited my options so I only used a mounted camera on it.

Some might say "operating a camera while riding seems dangerous".
It certainly can be depending on method used.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts