Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello again all,

I notice that when my bike sits for a couple of days, I get a big clunk when putting in 1st gear even after after bike has warmed up somewhat. GL1500 with next to no miles.

Once on the road, all is fine and returns to 1st are much smoother. Is this a concern, and if not why does it happen? Thanks!

psu

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

its normal you have to with for the clutch plates to get a good coating of the tinner oil after it warms up with the ticker oil it drags a little

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Depending on what weight oil you're using you might want to try a thinner oil. Like a 10/40 weight if you're using a 20/50.

Clunking into first gear isn't abnormal but it shouldn't be a KRASH noise.

You've got 2 transmission shafts…. the primary shaft will spin with engine speed. The counter or secondary shaft sits pretty much still. When you engage first gear the 2 shafts instantly start to move through the clutch assembly. Excessive drag on the clutch can increase the clunk. That's why a thinner oil can help decrease the initial clunk in the transmission.

If the thinner oil doesn't help you might have a clutch problem or maybe a problem with the clutch master cylinder. Maybe it's not disengaging the clutch completely. Many times bleeding and flushing the fluid will help also.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

It also helps to first rev the engine a few times, prior to dropping it into gear (at lowest rpm)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Another thing that can help is pulling the clutch lever and waiting a few seconds for the parts to slow down before putting it in gear.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Try pulling the clutch several times, hold it in, rev the motor 2 or 3 times, back down to idle and drop it in gear. I don't get the clunk on my Wing OR my Harley doing it this way.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I just klunk it and go. Every Honda I ever had was like that.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

P Yanney wrote:
Try pulling the clutch several times, hold it in, rev the motor 2 or 3 times, back down to idle and drop it in gear. I don't get the clunk on my Wing OR my Harley doing it this way.
Yes, that is my technique also. Works very well on my current bike. The 85 LTD I used to have would clunk no matter how you did it. Some bikes just shift better than others.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I just klunk it and go. Every Honda I ever had was like that.
Ain't that the truth!

T.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks everyone. Didn't think it was an issue. Just trying to get a better understanding. Yes, I did use 20W-50.

psu

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 the same color etc. with only 81,000. I am the original owner. How long have you owned the Wing?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Duckster,

Not sure if you are asking me or rayworx as the color is the same. Well, I actually feel slightly "guilty" when I'm the lucky guy to have found the 88 with 152 original miles.

Found on eBay last Feb. Still had original gas in tank! Worked on it consistently. Road ready in June. Registered in August. Still doing minor tweaks daily.

psu

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I shut it off,with handlebar switch, turn switch back on, push gear shift towards 1st, and hit starter again, whilst shifting into 1st. Works a treat, and takes longer to tell it than actually doing it. Sometimes, I will blip throttle a cpl times, with clutch pulled in, and it works. But, I don't particularly want to emulate a "V-twin".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.