Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all, I'm getting ready to take a big ride with my GL1200A 1986. This will be about 3000miles by the end of the ride. I'm wondering (Maybe too much so) what should I check out before my ride. I have one weekend to go and figured I'd be changing the fluids before my ride what should I tackle before I go?

I do commute every day on the bike and it's been running just fine. I think I read the forums too much :bash2: and I am filling my head with all crazy possibilities so someone talk some sense into me and I'd like to know your opinion on what I should check or change before I go...

:dumb:

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Hi,as you said change your fluids,fuel/air filter,check your tire air pressure and closely look into the grooves of the tire for cracks or seperation if the tires are not new.Give her a good going over with a wrench and check motor mounts,and all nuts and bolts(gives you peace of mind while riding).Spark plugs should be checked,if the timing belts are not current now is the time for replacement.Also pull off your rear wheel and lube the splines with moly 60 paste.While your there inspect the brake pads for wear,also the front.Have a great ride!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Good idea about the splines...I didn't think of that.

As for others, Belts are new (last year). Tires are new this season. I was going to put in new plugs just for the heck of it as well as check those drain holes since we've been getting so much rain here on the east cost. Wires are new because I had one fail early this season.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if she has been running fine just check the tires for any nail or something, check proper pressure and oil level if its old change it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

As William said if you've done your regular maintenance just do your preflight inspection, fuel it up and go.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

If you are like me, the first couple of hundred miles you will think you hear all kinds of unusal noises, but after the first day they will all go away in your mind, and it will just purr down the road. I aways carry a spare set of plugs,roll of bailing wire and some duct tape , when setting out on a long trip.

Have a great time and keep us posted !!!

Jellous Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

If you are like me, the first couple of hundred miles you will think you hear all kinds of unusal noises, but after the first day they will all go away in your mind, and it will just purr down the road. I aways carry a spare set of plugs,roll of bailing wire and some duct tape , when setting out on a long trip.

Have a great time and keep us posted !!!

Jellous Jim

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Guys, I'm going to do a few minor maintenance things like Oil, I think the splines are a good idea, check tires, shocks wires etc etc then hit the road and pretend I didn't just rebuild this thing one season ago from a complete non-running state, LOL!
It's actually been running quite well on my commute, and that's a commute of 120 miles round trip every day. This is, however, my first long haul on the bike and I will probably do around 400-500 miles a day average.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

From my experience, don't just think about the number of miles you can do in a day, unless you have to ride superslap to make time. I/we think 300 or so miles a day is about max if you want to make some stops and enjoy the trip.

How much time are you allowing for you trip, and where are you heading ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the link! That would come in handy if something goes wrong.

The trip is from NJ to NC (Inland route PA, WV) around the Mountains and possibly a trip on the Dragon Tail. Then Super Slab (Dreaded 95) up to NH for some more Fall Foliage and friends then finally back to NJ. The order isn't set in stone I might go north first then south but it all depends which friends get which days off. (I'd prefer south first as it makes it more of a loop than a zig-zag, LOL)

I'm thinking high miles just because I only have a week off with the thought of some full day stops with friends. Much of the getting place to place will be highway miles then once at my destination we'll do some fun local road to take in the fall foliage and scenery. No matter how much I'd like to stay off highways I think this trip I'll have to use them so I can be with the people I'd like to be at specific times.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
imported post

For me, the most important thing to do before a long trip is to pack extra shorts. Because, the way I drive I'm likely to need them. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

All that in 1 week ?? Hope you have a iron butt and Dennis sends you some of his Depends ! :ROFL::ROFL:

Jim

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

KnoxSwift wrote:
Hey all, I'm getting ready to take a big ride with my GL1200A 1986. This will be about 3000miles by the end of the ride. I'm wondering (Maybe too much so) what should I check out before my ride. I have one weekend to go and figured I'd be changing the fluids before my ride what should I tackle before I go?

I do commute every day on the bike and it's been running just fine. I think I read the forums too much :bash2: and I am filling my head with all crazy possibilities so someone talk some sense into me and I'd like to know your opinion on what I should check or change before I go...

:dumb:
If you havent changed the fork oil now is the time to do it ! Even if you have changed it with in the year , I would do it again . Load test the battery ( you dont want a week batteryto leave you stranded ). Check the 3 wire stator conector , if it looks like it has been getting warm ( burnt ) repair as needed . ( more to come latter )

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Luckily that 120 mile trip each day is a good litmus test for this kind of ride. I would absolutely check and eliminate any stator wire connectors if that hasn't been done.
Don't forget the disposable clothing concept either! Old underwear or t-shirts that you are thinking of tossing anyway can be worn and then pitched at each overnight-leaves room for the souveniers on the way back!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks, all! Stator wire work has been done but stator is the original.
Forks, I was thinking that myself. I did clean the forks out when I upgraded to the Progressive Springs but I was thinking I should maybe flush and put in new fork oil as well. That won't take me long to do so I might as well do them too.

Rear shocks were just repaired this season as I had a seal go so they do have new oil and seals.

Also, I've done 3 cross country trips so far but this is my first big trip on a GL1200 and my first on a bike I rebuilt!! LOL! My previous trips were on bikes that were brand new or close to new...

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

When do you plan on starting you tour ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hope you keep us posted on how it goes !! Enjoy and keep the rubber side down.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

muffler bearings, blinker fluid, flux capacitor, and the supercalafragalisticexpealadocuious switch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.